In an informal survey, Thom Rainer asked pastors this question, “What do you wish you had been told before you became a pastor?” Here are their answers in order of frequency of response:
1. I wish someone had taught me basic leadership skills.
2. I needed to know a lot more about personal financial issues.
3. I wish I had been given advice on how to deal with power groups and power people in the church.
4. Don’t give up your time in prayer and the Word.
5. I wish someone had told me I needed some business training.
6. Someone should have told me that there are mean people in the church.
7. Show me how to help my kids grow up like normal kids.
8. I wish I had been told to continue to date my wife.
9. Someone needed to tell me about the expectation of being omnipresent.
10. I really needed help knowing how to minister to dying people.
You can go here to read the entire article. Rainer provides representative quotes from pastors under each point. It’s worth your time to go read the entire article.
What are your thoughts?