The GREAT COMMISSION RESURGENCE and IX. A Commitment to a More Effective Convention Structure has me thinking. It has many (most?) Southern Baptists thinking. I’m thinking about the relationship between local churches and state conventions. I have questions, but I’d like to hightlight a few points in the GCR before asking for some input from my fellow SBCers.
We call upon all Southern Baptists…state conventions/institutions…to evaluate our Convention structures and priorities so that we can maximize our energy and resources for the health of our local churches and the fulfillment of the Great Commission.
Some of our convention structures at all levels need to be streamlined for more faithful stewardship of the funds entrusted to them. We must address with courage and action …overlap and duplication…where poor stewardship is present…must be wise stewards of these funds…examine whether the allocation of Cooperative Program dollars genuinely contributes to Kingdom work or simply maintains the status quo.
…simplifying our convention structures…streamline our structure…maximize our resources for Great Commission priorities…ask hard questions about every aspect of our Convention structure and priorities…
We believe the local church must be “ground zero” in a Great Commission Resurgence, and that our associations, state conventions and national agencies exist to serve and assist the churches in their divine assignment.
I too believe the local church is “ground zero”. Without the local churches the SBC doesn’t exist. Above all else we must protect the health and integrity of our local churches. This brings a few questions to mind concerning the state/local level.
- What kind of stress, if any, will this cause between local churches and state conventions/institutions?
- Should pastors be worried about relationships with state officials if they support the GCR task force?
- Is there any push back the state conventions could use against pastors who support the task force?
- What if some organizations don’t comply? Where do we go from there?
- Are these valid concerns? What are some other concerns we might have?
What do you think?