Blue Collar Blog Madness: Round Two – SWEET Sixteen!

by Dave Miller on March 20, 2012 · 75 comments

There are sixteen blogs left in our Blue Collar Blog Madness: That’s SWEET!

Congratulations to those who made it through to round 2.  Actually, the voting was so close – a lot of blogs came within a vote or two (or three) of making the second round. It’s been a great tournament so far.

In this round, you only get to vote for one blog.  You don’t get to vote more than once, but you can certainly encourage your friends to vote!  Hope you get into the spirit of things.

Voting will be open all week, ending sometime Sunday.

Here are your sixteen round 2 blogs…

Golden Gate Regional

1. Pastor Ricky, Panta ta Ethne
  2. Brian Croft, Practical Shepherding
  3. Thomas Hill, For His Glory
  4. Mike Bergman, Unjust Justified

[polldaddy poll=6055377]

1 Andrew Wencl March 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Vote for me and I’ll make your wildest dreams come true!

2 Jeff Musgrave March 20, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I started to offer to trade votes with you “Pedro”, then I realized that you are in the same region with Mike. Man this gets harder to do.

3 Andrew Wencl March 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I’m not above trading votes. I’m gonna make you an offer you cannot refuse…

But I am above cat juggling, unlike others in my region!

4 Mike Leake March 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I hated to have to do this but…the “truth” needs to be told. It is my dedication to truthiness that caused me to inform the world about Joe Blackmon, Frank Gantz, and Andrew Wencl.

5 Mike Leake March 20, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Per Andrew’s comment above. What he means to say is “Vote for me and you’ll get all the Frank Stallone you can handle”.

6 Andrew Wencl March 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm

How can you live with yourself? This yellow journalism won’t buy you votes. I did a little research on my own and discovered that your save-the-kitties organization is just a cover for an extensive and brutal cat juggling ring running from Patagonia all the way past the borders of the US of A!

7 Mike Leake March 20, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Cats land on their feet. Juggling doesn’t hurt them. Woodchippers on the other hand…

8 Andrew Wencl March 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I didn’t campaign during round one, but I made it. Now I’m going all out. I guess the woodchipper’s on the other hand now!

9 Mike Leake March 20, 2012 at 2:39 pm

you mean paw?

10 Frank Gantz March 20, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Yes! I finally made it to a real conspiracy.

11 Paul Thompson March 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm

With theBridge, in the Golden Gate Region, being the only Idaho blog in the hunt for the title of ‘blue collar blogger’ we went out to the farm and secured celebrity/actor Hamm, of Toy Story, with this endorsement… “Way to go, Idaho”
We are currently working on a solid endorsement from Mr. Potato Head!

12 Jeff Musgrave March 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm

After seeing how effective you were at mustering votes in the first round, I am not sure how good my chances are. And how can I compete with an endorsement in the voice of the man who gave us Cliff on Cheers. But I bet that I am further north than you, so at least I am above you latitudinally.

13 Jared Moore March 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm

One vote for me, and watch a relative from purgatory flee!

14 Jeff Musgrave March 20, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I can’t imagine that will get many votes. How many people are there in Baptist purgatory?

15 Jeff Musgrave March 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm

This may be the part of SBC Voices that I appreciate the most. The free flow of nonsensical humor to break up all of the serious discussion and occasional infighting is priceless. Which is good, because I am not sure that very many people would actually pay for it.

Vote for me and I will not be able to do a thing to pay you back for it, unless of course we ever meet in person and then maybe I can buy you lunch or something, unless you want to come all the way to Langdon, ND on your way to Canada perhaps and then I would be glad to treat you to lunch before you cross the border. Or maybe I can vote for you in return, if you are in another region and not making it tough for me to decide between hip pop culture references and cat juggling.

16 Dave Miller March 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Wow, that was one of the best exchanges I’ve ever seen on this blog.

17 Andrew Wencl March 20, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Vote for me, Dave, and I’ll keep it up.

18 Dave Miller March 20, 2012 at 2:58 pm

My vote cannot be purchased – - (cheaply)

19 Andrew Wencl March 20, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Vote for me and I’ll consider moving to Iowa. I am Czech, you know.

20 Dave Miller March 20, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Last thing Iowa needs is more Czechs. (Sorry, Dale – my close, Czech friend).

21 Paul Thompson March 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Now that Hamm is out on the campaign trail for me, I can devote my Sweet Sixteen celebration to lunch at Sonic headquarters to secure our next ad campaign with Idaho’s best Sweet (Sixteen) Tater Tots. I’m buying Sweet (Sixteen) Tater Tots for all voters I meet while I’m there.

22 Jeff Musgrave March 20, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I am troubled by the unkosher nature of your endorsement (or endorser). :P

23 Mike Bergman March 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I cry foul!

By the dastardly actions of shadowy unseen forces I have been placed into the same bracket as Brian Croft–even I like his blog better than mine!

This is obviously a conspiracy of epic proportions!!!!

Vote for me and we shall fight the invisible “man” together!

24 Matt Svoboda March 20, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I just voted! I love that SBC Voices does this every year!

25 Ricky Kirk March 20, 2012 at 3:12 pm

here’s to more creative campaigning!

26 Dave Miller March 20, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I think these guys have been about as “creative” as you can get.

27 Anthony Russo March 20, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I just want to announce that if you haven’t enjoyed one yet, there are Krispy Kreme doughnuts in the breakroom.

…Oh, and did I mention that in the breakroom tomorrow it’s ThrowAwayEverything Chick-fil-A breakfast biscuit Wednesday?

All brought to you by your friends at Southwestern Regional Blog Choice #4, ThrowAwayEverything.com!

28 Jeff Musgrave March 20, 2012 at 8:26 pm

If you can find a way to get me some of those Chick-fil-A chicken biscuits here in the vast northland near the Canadian border, I would find a way to get you more votes. :)

29 Doug Hibbard March 20, 2012 at 9:23 pm

If I had known it was that easy, I would have bribed you so I could make the stinkin’ second round!!!

I feel somewhere between Missouri and Duke :(

30 Jeff Musgrave March 20, 2012 at 10:42 pm

My bracket was doing great in the first round until that MO loss. I actually had a perfect bracket at the end of Thursday and had only missed those two by the end of Friday. It started coming apart after that though.
Oh, and I don’t know that getting chicken biscuits up here would be all that easy, but if you have a way to do it, by all means send a few my way. :D

31 Doug Hibbard March 21, 2012 at 12:30 pm

How edible do they need to be on arrival?

Because they can get there, but I don’t know how tasty they’ll be on arrival…

32 Jeff Musgrave March 22, 2012 at 1:54 am

That’s the real trick isn’t it. I would like them to be edible or there isn’t much point in getting them. I can make inedible chicken biscuits from the comfort of my own kitchen.

33 Doug Hibbard March 22, 2012 at 7:43 am

You’ve got my email. Send me a real address and then wait with expectant hope. Maybe someday I’ll figure out a way.

34 Andrew Wencl March 20, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I’m granting free access to the HCSB Study Bible notes on mystudybible.com to everyone who votes for me.

35 Mike Leake March 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Here’s a sample of Andrew’s notes:

Philippians 1:3

“I thank my God in all my remembrance of you”….
Clearly the Apostle is thinking through the awesomeness that is Frank Stallone. Every time he–and we–think of Frank it turns our hearts to praise.

Phillipians 1:8
“For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus”….
Again, the apostle can hardly contain his excitement as he is overflowing with Frankesque-joy. He yearns to learn and know more of Frank Stallone and that the Philippians along with him might grow in koinonia centered around Frank’s stellar chin.

36 Mike Bergman March 20, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Hey, Dave–just noticed you have a typo in the southwestern region… you still have “pick 4″ as opposed to “pick 1″…

…or maybe it’s not a typo… maybe this conspiracy thing is bigger than I thought!!!

37 Jared Moore March 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I don’t believe in smear campaigning, but this video just surfaced of Eric Redmond, Paul Thompson, and Jeff Musgrave. Do you really want to vote for one of these three men? Vote for me instead.

Personalize funny videos and birthday eCards at JibJab!

38 Jeff Musgrave March 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I am not sure why we changed clothes between the promo cover shot and the actual dance video (I don’t remember from when we shot the video), but how can you not vote for guys with moves like these. And I am clearly the best dancer in this video. Gone are the days when Baptists couldn’t dance. Jared, you may have just sealed your move to last place by refusing to be a part of this dance team.

P.S. Now I know why you sent the friend request on Facebook today. :P You were just looking for good photos of me.

39 Jared Moore March 20, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I thought we were already friends on facebook; so, I friended you. I could see most of your pics already :).

40 Jeff Musgrave March 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I thought we were too, so I was surprised to see that the friend request was from you. I just had to tease you about it.

41 Paul Thompson March 21, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Jared, Since posting this (obviously doctored) video, my voting trend has nearly doubled… Thanks!

42 Jared Moore March 21, 2012 at 3:47 pm

You’re welcome. Remember us little blogs if you win.

43 Jeff Musgrave March 21, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I got some votes from it too, but not nearly as many as you. Clearly you are the hipster in this group. I still say I was the better dancer in the clip. :)

44 Dave Miller March 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm

It’s a typo – I don’t think someone can vote for more than one. It’s a typo I can’t change.

45 Frank Gantz March 20, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I have a spare room down here in South Florida. Votes may get you a night just minutes from the beach.

46 Dave Miller March 21, 2012 at 11:24 am

Well played, sir.

47 Christiane March 20, 2012 at 6:11 pm

words out someone is using cute kittens to get votes . . . now that is cold

48 hariette (selahV) March 21, 2012 at 7:50 am

Vote for David Brumbelow, Gulfcoast Pastor from the lowlands of Highland, Texas.  He is a man of honor, integrity, and wit.  He’s a man of principle and lover of all things Jesus.  He’s the man for this hour, this time, and the future.  He’s a published author without all the “ds” following his name.
He is in the ministry for the longhaul and far exceeds the Southern Baptist Convention’s average for pastoring the same church.  He’s a tree hugger and a gardening enthusiast.  He celebrates “Earthday” by planting more trees.
He still visits his mom every week and attends to her needs as a widowed lady. He’s written a book to praise his father’s pastoral ministry, thereby fulfilling the commandment to honor his father and mother.  His brothers are pastors and he encourages young pastors.  He loves Southern Baptists.  He don’t smoke, drink or cuss.  He doesn’t “see things” on imaginary television screens, but works magic with an antiquated computer.  He is proud enough to brush his teeth, but humble enough to ask for help from a silly lady when he needs to create a blog.
Oh, and he pays real good for endorsements.  Ha ha. Just kidding. :)

49 hariette (selahV) March 21, 2012 at 7:55 am

Vote for David Brumbelow, Gulfcoast Pastor from the lowlands of Highland, Texas. He is a man of honor, integrity, and wit. He’s a man of principle and lover of all things Jesus. He’s the man for this hour, this time, and the future. He’s a published author without all the “ds” following his name.

He is in the ministry for the longhaul and far exceeds the Southern Baptist Convention’s average for pastoring the same church. He’s a tree hugger and a gardening enthusiast. He celebrates “Earthday” by planting more trees.

He still visits his mom every week and attends to her needs as a widowed lady. He’s written a book to praise his father’s pastoral ministry, thereby fulfilling the commandment to honor his father and mother. His brothers are pastors and he encourages young pastors. He loves Southern Baptists. He don’t smoke, drink or cuss. He doesn’t “see things” on imaginary television screens, but works magic with an antiquated computer. He is proud enough to brush his teeth, but humble enough to ask for help from a silly lady when he needs to create a blog.

Oh, and he pays real good for endorsements. Ha ha. Just kidding. :)

50 David R. Brumbelow March 21, 2012 at 8:57 am

Hariette,
The check is in the mail.
David R. Brumbelow

51 Jeff Musgrave March 21, 2012 at 11:04 am

What a nice glowing endorsement, glad he isn’t in the same region as me for this round. :)
I will say that the book is a really neat testament to his dad. I have enjoyed reading it myself, although I haven’t finished reading it.

52 selahV-hariette March 21, 2012 at 11:45 am

David, this “pac” is for you, MAN! ha ha.

Jeff, that is one of the neatest books. I’ve passed it around at church to several men and they love it. I probably should get me some extra copies and sell them for a profit, huh? ha ha. His momma wrote a cookbook, too. And it is fantastic! Love the cookie recipe from box cake mixes. She was a wonderful pastor’s wife and one chapter of David’s book: “Wit and Wisdom of Pastor Joe Brumbelow” is written by his mom. She’s got some sage advice for preacher’s wives.

David is one GRRRReat Baptist on mission for the Lord. Few people know how dedicated and devoted he is in his ministry. It reaches far beyond his on pastorate. His blog takes a beating because of his dedication to his mom and his ministry to his church family and community. But when he writes, he writes gooood stuff. Worth re-reading for the advice he offers.

Now, Dave Miller, about those kittens. Did you know that there is a rumor that David rescued a bag of kittens from the Red River in Texas and gave those kittens to Dr. Patterson to keep the vermin out of Pecan Manor and SWBTS? yep…that is the rumor. So, ol’ Brum (as he is affectionately known), is one great guy. Folks ought to see if Todd Littleton can meet those credentials for being Blue-collar. And I heard that Todd Littleton only wears white collars. In fact, rumor is that he even wears a tie to every potluck dinner he attends. What’s up with that? :)

53 David R. Brumbelow March 21, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Jeff and Hariette,
Thanks for the comments about “The Wit and Wisdom of Pastor Joe Brumbelow.” Any interested in it, send me your mailing address.

The kittens are another story.
David R. Brumbelow
P.O. Box 300
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
nsbc77562@LWOL.com

54 David R. Brumbelow March 21, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Of course this offer, if valid, would be after the voting; so as not to skew the results.
David R. Brumbelow

55 Dave Miller March 21, 2012 at 11:23 am

But what does he do about the kitten problem?

56 Christiane March 21, 2012 at 11:57 am

oy

57 Greg Harvey March 21, 2012 at 8:51 am

Actually go to Joe Blackmon’s site and enjoy his blog regardless of whether you pick him. Really, REALLY good.

58 Joe Blackmon March 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Thank you.

59 Ricky Kirk March 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Ok, I don’t have krispy kreme donuts, chik-fil-a, rooms in florida or kittens to ‘promise’ my supporters, but if you ever want to see the murky brown waters of the Ohio River from Southern Ohio/Eastern Kentucky, then I’m your guy! Vote for me and one lucky person could receive a youtube video of a coal barge slowly making its way upstream… or something like that…

That’s Southern Region, Pastor Ricky, Panta ta Ethne

tempting huh… lol

60 Dave Miller March 21, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Tempting. Very tempting.

61 selahV-hariette March 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Awh, Ricky…having spent a good many years near the banks of the Ohio when in Louisville, Brandenburg, and Owensboro, that video sounds mighty tempting. When we lived in Owensboro, I’d often go get a cup of coffee and go sit by the river and watch those barges and (sometimes logs), go floating down the streams. Made me want to be Huckleberry Finn, it did. unh hunh. :)

62 Hamm March 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm

A vote for Paul Thompson (Golden Gate Region) is a vote for bacon. Everyone loves a crispy strip of bacon.
“Way to go, Idaho!”

63 Paul Thompson March 21, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Thanks Hamm!

64 Jeff Musgrave March 22, 2012 at 1:52 am

Is it just me or does this make Hamm a “hammibal” or something? Seems a little twisted to have a pig promoting bacon. :D

65 Mark March 21, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Hey, where’s Pedro’s blog so I can vote for him?

66 Paul Thompson March 22, 2012 at 12:39 am

Pedro is in Idaho campaigning for theBridge in the Golden Gate Region.

67 Jeff Musgrave March 22, 2012 at 12:42 am

You have more votes than have even been cast in one of the other regions total votes. How in the world did you manage that?

68 Paul Thompson March 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm

It may be because of Idaho’s world famous potatoes.

69 Jeff Musgrave March 22, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Suddenly, I find myself wishing for a wild card like in baseball. I have enough votes to be winning two other regions and just short of the lead in the third and yet I have less than half of the number of votes needed to lead in my own.

Are you sure that Paul is “blue collar” after all? :D