On On August 19th, 2009 at the SBTS President’s Forum, Dr. Mohler delivered a message on the Future of the Southern Baptist Convention. Below the video are the 10 points Dr. Mohler said Southern Baptists will face in the future.
Dr. Mohler presents these questions as dichotomies. He suggests that Southern Baptists are going to chose one position or the other.
- Missiological or bureaucratic.
- Tribal or theological.
- Convictional or confused in theological positions.
- Logic more secular or sectarian.
- Become younger or dead.
- Be more diverse or be diminished.
- Become missional or more methodological.
- More strategic or more anemic.
- More bold or more boring.
- Happy or bitter.
He ends by saying that the SBC is at a crossroads and that structure (and re-structuring) is not the primary issue. The “ethos, mission and purpose of the denomination” is the primary issue. The SBC needs to risk the structural and institutional questions being permanently open seeking to be biblically faithful in every aspect.
To get a full picture of the above points please listen to Dr. Mohler’s presentation. He offers an interesting perspective to consider as the annual convention approaches.
Grace and peace,