Fat Pastor, Fit Pastor: Down the Holiday Homestretch

by Dave Miller on December 10, 2013 · 11 comments

I am woefully late on this one, but we are nearing the end of our Fat Pastor, Fit Pastor Challenge. Some months ago, a number of our regulars committed to trying to lose some weight. We’ve been weighing in and checking our progress. The Challenge ends on December 31.

So, anyone having success? Some of you (like me) finding the stuggle overwhelming?

I’ve been doing a lot of walking recently, but the last week hasn’t been quite as good. I need to be consistent in exercise – that is a key for me.

So, guys, how’s it going? You still have a few weeks, but the holiday battle is great  - with all those delightful morsels to be sampled. Baptist churches are a minefield in the Christmas season for those of us who are “portly.”

Keep up the battle.

1 Daniel December 10, 2013 at 9:39 am

I’ve been weighing in since the beginning, so I might as well finish it out. In homage to a great movie, and my Baptist preacher heritage we will use three bullet points.

The Good – I started trying to lose weight several months ago in response to two realities. I needed to spend money more wisely, and too much money was going to junk food pit stops, and my doctor had prescribed blood pressure medicine that I did not want to take. I have lost close to 20lbs and now hover around the 190 mark. As of last week the Dr. said that I was free to continue not taking BP medicine.

The Bad – Other than my own laziness there is no reason that I should not be 10lbs lighter than I am. While I have certainly spent less on junk food pit stops I can’t clearly point to how I have spent that money any better. This is frustrating as I had hoped to see some strong moves here.

The Ugly – Exercise. For 14 weeks I walked daily, not missing a single day. Then, the weather got cold (Hey, 30 degrees is freezing, literally.) and I began to skip. Then the skips turned into the habit and I have not regularly exercised in several weeks. I have noticed that this struggle is applicable to other areas of my life as well, and that it is certainly easy to fall out of what I “should” be doing.

2 Jeremy Parks December 10, 2013 at 9:48 am

Progress is slow. For me, the primary disruption is in travel. I can’t exercise like I need when I am on the road.

The second hang-up is late night nibbling. Good grief.

I am not sure if I will hit my goal (roughly 10-11% weight loss), but I’ll get close as long as I don’t get sick. I’ll post my final numbers over in January when you solicit results.

3 Chris Huff December 10, 2013 at 10:47 am

I lost about 10 pounds…and then gained it back. I’m blaming life for this one. We started foster parenting a medically fragile infant which has taken so much of our time that, well…okay I have no excuses.

4 Bill Mac December 10, 2013 at 11:57 am

I lost, then gained, then lost, then gained, then lost, then gained……………

You get the idea.

5 Tim G December 10, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Progress slowed way down! I vote extend it and keep trucking. I am determined to find the stud in me again! :-)

6 J. Ronald Hester December 10, 2013 at 3:37 pm

A few months back I had developed some pains that I discovered were side effects of cholesterol meds I had been taking for a few years. So I quit the meds and began to walk. I was feeling so much better I decided to run some. I am now running up to two miles four to six days per week except when the weather does not cooperate. I ride the exercise bike six to eight miles on those days. I have lost about ten pounds and am feeling better than I have in years. I am less than a month shy of 73 years.

7 Andrew Green December 10, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I have dropped out all together. I hurt my back briefly and never picked it backed up. I did lose ten pounds before the drop off but I am sure I have gained it back. I hope to start again in the new year.

8 Dave Miller December 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Don’t quit.

9 Christiane December 11, 2013 at 6:49 am

Please pray for Billy Graham. The news is reporting that his family says he is now very weak. Please pray.

10 David Gallimore December 12, 2013 at 2:05 pm

As of this morning I am at 210 lbs. Down 9 lbs since last month. Started out at 246 in September. Exercise has been down, but I’ve been nursing a running injury, getting better though.

11 Dave Miller December 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm

My guess is that you stand a good chance of winning the LARGE cash prize ($1 – which you will have to pick up in person in Sioux City by the 9th of January).