Fathers, Protect Your Daughters from Your “Deity”

This article was originally posted at my site. I’m married with three children, an SBC pastor, a PhD student at SBTS, and an average Southern Baptist. I’ve authored two books. You can connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and YouTube.

Avahalloween

In a world saturated with evil, what is a father to do in order to protect his daughter? The answer seems to be: whatever he can. However, an earthly father is not sovereign; he is not in control of his daughter; he cannot fully protect her. “Whatever he can,” therefore will not be good enough. Even if I can protect my daughter from the greater evils in the world, even if I can protect her from predators that would try to hurt her, or depraved young men up to no good, I still cannot protect her fully from the evil that is me or the evil that is her (Ava). That depraved sin nature will corrupt her from within if she sits non-responsive to the preached word from a pulpit of a sinner saved by grace, who is being perfected, but is not yet perfect. I will do my best not to deserve the title of “hypocrite,” but Satan, his armies, her flesh, and my flesh are against my desire for God’s goodness.

What is a father to do?

All we can do is place our trust in the sovereign God to whom our daughters already belong. Our goal should be to present them blameless before their heavenly Father one day due to the cleansing blood of Christ having washed over them through faith in Him alone. Our goal cannot be to “win” our daughters to us, but to win them to Jesus. Thus, a father’s greatest strength is admitting his weakness while using every avenue he can to pour out the love of Christ on his daughter. Her only hope however is his only hope as well: Salvation by God’s grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. Sadly, she can be “daddy’s girl,” and still go to hell. But, if she’s the daughter of our Heavenly Father, she has eternal life in Christ forevermore, and He will be there for her when we cannot be. Therefore, Fathers, protect your daughters from your “deity” by sending them running from your “deity” to Jesus alone.

May we labor continually to send our daughters running to the only Father who can save them eternally!

What are your thoughts?

Comments

1. cb scott says

“Our goal cannot be to “win” our daughters to us, . . . ”

Jared Moore, would you give more detail as to what you mean in the statement above?

Also, the following statement may need some touch-up work:

“Our goal should be to present them blameless before their heavenly Father one day due to the cleansing blood of Christ having washed over them through faith in Him alone.”

We, as fathers do not “present” our children “blameless before their heavenly Father.” Ephesians 1:4 and elsewhere in the NT, it is declared that such a presentation is the work of Christ. I think your statement needs to be modified. For as it stands, it is in contradiction to the title and remaining content of your post.

I’m not Jared, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (actually, my own bed, but whatever…).

The goal of parenting is not making our kids like us, thus we could say the goal of parenting is not winning our daughters to us. I want to be a hero in my daughters’ eyes, but that is not the ultimate goal in my fatherhood. I’m more concerned with what they ultimately think about God than with what they think about me today. Particularly in our day, some parents seem to think the purpose of parenting is to be their kid’s best friend.

On the presenting blameless, I’m sure that language comes from Ephesians 5:27-28 where “in the same way” that Christ presents the church blameless, husbands are to love their wives. Granted the father is no husband to his daughter, but it is a father’s task to love and nurture his children in these ways until they either go off to get married or grow up and move out on their own.

• cb scott says

Chris Roberts,

I am sure the “presenting blameless” does come from Eph. 5:27-29 and other NT passages as well such as the one I referenced in Eph. 1:4. Thus my point. It is Christ who presents His children blameless and not us. Therefore, I think that Jared’s statement needs to be brushed up a bit.

Also, for the Christian, the ultimate goal is not to be a hero to your children as a father. Nor is the goal to be “their kid’s best friend.” Therein I agree with you.

However, and with the above agreement being stated, I do contend that every father should, with deliberate diligence, seek to be a hero in the eyes of his children, especially in the eyes of daughters. It is a fact that daughters do find in their fathers their initial image and understanding of men. We must therefore seek by the grace of God to model a biblical worldview lifestyle before them, thus becoming a hero of the faith to them in our personal embracing biblical manhood.

On the blameless part, I still think it’s fair to echo that language to some degree since Paul’s instruction for husbands is to immitate Christ in this work.

On the heroes part, agreed. A helpful clarification.

• cb scott says

Chris Roberts,

In order to be transparent in my motive for taking issue with Jared’s statement regarding “winning” our children to ourselves and your statement about being heroes to our children, allow me to refer you to the various Texts on which I base my position: 1 Cor. 1:16; 1 Cor. 11:-2; Phil. 3:17; Phil. 4:9; 1 Thess. 1:6; and 2 Thess 3:9.

1 Corinthians 11:1-2 states, “Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ. Now I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold firmly to the traditions, just as I delivered them to you.”

Chris, I think fathers who follow Christ and seek to live according to a biblical worldview should boldly say to their children, “follow me as I follow the Christ.”

• cb scott says

Vol,

I was happy to get to visit with you and your dear wife in Houston. I am also glad that you have been appointed to represent Southern Baptists on the C of C.

In addition, I can’t wait to see the new look of the VOLUNTEER NATION this year. You guys had a tremendous recruiting season. It should be obvious to any person in America that the SEC will be the dominate force in sports forever. I think it would be good if all the Lesser Conferences would just quit now and save themselves from the embarrassment of the humiliation they will face from now on when they get their hopes up of winning a National Championship, especially in FOOTBALL.

2. Jess Alford says

Jared,

I agree with CB Scott, also there is something that just don’t set will with me. I cannot, for the moment wrap my mind around it but I will figure it out. There is a difference between washing over our sins and washing away our sins. Remember, our sins go into the sea of forgetfulness,
    never to be remembered any more.

3. Jess Alford says

Jared,
    Please explain sending our daughters running to Christ. This is the part that troubles me.

4. Christiane says

JARED, if that is a picture of Ava, she is adorable.

I was trying to sort out what you mean. I guess it is a little bit daunting to realize that your child adores you as a Papa, but honestly, that is okay. Many of my own students who were girls would say to me that they wished they had a ‘dad’ (their moms were single mothers) . . . and many of my girls did not know who their fathers were, to be honest . . . and I would always say to them ‘You have a Father in heaven Who loves you more than any earthly father could’

It is natural and good that your daughter loves you dearly. And it does not ‘take away’ from her love for God, JARED . . . if anything, her love for you expands her ability to love and trust others, AND to love God.

When you pass away from this earth, Ava will thank God for giving her a such a good father who cared for her. Her love for you doesn’t lessen her love for God. If anything, it strengthens it. Love is abundantly overflowing . . . it comes from God, Who IS love. He is the Source of all love. Even the love you have for your child, and the love she returns to her ‘papa’.
    Give Ava a big hug, and don’t trouble her with heavy philosophical doctrines . . . she understands the hug better. :)

Good thoughts Jared.

I love this verse from 1 Corinthians 7:

“For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.”

And so continually pointing our children to Christ, the one true hero, is the way.

Not just for our daughters, but our sons as well. We protect them best by leading them to Christ. My goal is to be the kind of man I want my sons to be and to be the kind of man I want my daughter to marry. And that kind of man, when rightly portrayed, exemplifies their Father in heaven to whom they are to turn for protection when outside of my purview. That kind of protection should give them the courage to take the gospel into harm’s way.

• cb scott says

“That kind of protection should give them the courage to take the gospel into harm’s way.”

Excellent observation, Jim Pemberton.

It seems to me that Jared is urging fathers to point their daughters to the real “Deity”, God Himself, and to not let them “deify” their own human daddy.

8. Dale Pugh says

In the midst of all the very good discussion here, may I say that Little Red Riding Hood has NEVER been cuter! What a blessing she must be to her daddy!

• cb scott says

Duckman Dale,

I greatly agree. Also, I think it should be noted that her parents have the good taste to use red (crimson) and white to enhance the beautiful smile and bright eyes, of Little Red (crimson) Riding Hood.

• cb scott says

Yes, Duckman Dale,

One track to a threepeat. ROLL TIDE!!!

Seriously, you are right as rain, Duckman Dale. God has blessed Jared Moore and his wife with a beautiful and bright-eyed daughter. My prayer for them is that they rear her in the grace and admonition of the Lord and that Christ uses her mightily for the advancement of His Kingdom.

• Bennett Willis says

Odd, where I went to school, we called the colors “Cardinal and Cream.” But I guess “Red and White” rolls more easily off the tongue for someone with Alabama sympathies.

9. Tom Bryant says

With 2 grown daughters, the idea that girls after the age of 9 think of their fathers as deity is funny. :-)

I understand what Jared is saying and basically agree.

10. Max says

Tucked away in one of my Bibles, I cherish the following note from my daughter during the dreaded teen years:

“It has always been a comfort and encouragement to me throughout life to know I have a dad that prays for me. God only knows what all that has saved me from. Your consistency in prayer has been a challenge to me and is a way I want my kids to describe me someday. I love you.”

My daughter is now a young adult, married to an SBC pastor, a gifted worship singer/musician … and pregnant with our first grandchild! Men, if you only knew the countless hours of intercession I spent and tears shed during intense spiritual battles … to now witness the fruit of that labor. Pray for your children – your testimony of faithfulness means something to them and the Kingdom.

• cb scott says

Max,

Yours is one of those simply wonderful “Praise God!” kind of comments that show up from time-to-time in a Baptist blog comment thread.

Therefore, I just want to rejoice with you and say, Amen and Praise Jesus!

In addition, I will be praying for your first grandchild to be mightily used of our Lord.

• Max says

Thank you CB – I will advise my daughter that an SBC “legend” is praying for their little one! We sincerely appreciate your prayers, brother (the baby is due in October). As a side note: we are thanking Jesus today after that young pastor she is married to led six VBS students in the sinner’s prayer last evening ;^)

• cb scott says

LOL!! Amen! Praise God and Pass the Ammunition and may your “young pastor son-in-law’s tribe increase. ;-)