This article was originally posted at my site. Only some of my articles are posted on SBC Voices. If you would like access to all of my articles, you can follow my feed here. You can also connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
More times than not, funerals are filled with unbiblical poems, songs, statements, often including an unbiblical emphasis the entire funeral. We’ve all been at funerals where such things were said in the name of comfort that were not true. It puzzles me that in our weakest moments, in our greatest times of need, Christians often find comfort in false teaching or speculation. The truth however is always a greater comforter than lies. Here are 10 truths to comfort and encourage you…
If your loved one was a Christian before he or she died, then he or she is now…
1. Absent from his or her physical body on earth, and is present with Christ in heaven (2 Cor. 5:8).
2. No longer walking by faith, but by sight as he or she sees Jesus face to face (1 Cor. 13:12).
3. Absent from the presence of sin (2 Peter 3:13).
4. Absent from temptation to sin (1 John 2:17).
5. No longer feeling the physical effects of the curse: sickness, disease, pain, tears, etc. (1 Cor. 15:54-58).
6. No longer desiring to sin (1 John 2:17).
7. No longer worrying (1 Cor. 13:11-12).
8. No longer feeling the emotional effects of the curse: anxiety, depression, heartache, etc. (1 Cor. 15:54-58).
9. With previous friends, family, and spiritual brothers and sisters from many nations, that died in Christ (Rev. 5:9).
10. In a place that is more beautiful than anything you or I can imagine (Rev. 21:10-27).