Help Title My Next Writing Project

Last year I wrote a little devotional on the book of Colossians and gave it to my son for his fifth birthday. We gave him the devotional and his own Children’s Bible. At the time I simply titled it “Isaiah’s Big Boy Bible Study”.

Now I’ve been inspired to tweak that devotional and make it available for others. The goal of the project is to continue to write devotional on various books of the Bible that parents (primarily dads) can use with their sons*. It is written on a level for K-2 children.

The first devotional is on Paul’s letter to the Colossians. It is tentatively subtitled Jesus is All That We Need. The little book will have about twenty devotionals that go through the entire letter. It will also be illustrated by Ed Koehler. I’m also excited to potentially have the Foreword written by someone that many of my readers will know.

I believe that this project can really assist the church and help families in doing short devotions with their children. They are interactive Bible studies that go deep in the text but do so in a way that is understandable to smaller children. Each Bible study has questions that will engage the heart of your child.

So here is where I need your help. I’m struggling to come up with a name for this project. This need not be the name for the specific Colossians devotional but for the entire project.

What would you title a series of devotionals written to assist parents in leading their children with gospel-centered Bible studies over various books of the Bible?

*Eventually, I’ll branch out and do one for daughters as well.  Again, if the Lord sees fit I’ll expand this in the future.

Comments

1. Dave Miller says

I’m not even gonna weigh in here. I’ve been a youth pastor and worked with youth at all 4 of my churches (yes, even in my 50s). I am not scared or intimidated in front of youth, adults, seniors. But working with children who are not mine or my grandkids scares the fool out of me.

I hope someone gives you some help here, but my title would likely not be helpful.

I too hope to get help. Seriously, I’m so close to throwing a ton of time into this project and rolling it out but I’m just stuck on a title. I’ve got some editors looking at it, and they’ve been encouraging, but I just can’t seem to get comfortable with a title.

2. Nick Horton says

Planted by the Brook?

Seedlings to Sycamores?

Calvinist Kids: Convert Them Early and Take Over The Convention by Insiders? NO? Ok… hrm..

Actually, it’s got a way to go to beat out “The Truth about SBC Voices”, “Flaunting our Bacon”, “Is It OK to Vent?”, “Why We’ve All But Lost the Gay Marriage Debate”, “5 Reasons a Calvinism Discussion Doesn’t Matter”, “7 Steps to Becoming a Heretic”, and a bunch of others.

• Greg Buchanan says

Mike,

I’m going to reply here to stay WAY above the not-about-the-post comments, if that’s all right.

If your book is written/re-written in a storied/chapter fashion (all day father & son adventure) i.e. each study/chapter is another thing the father & son are doing during the day, then you could title it something like this:
      Searching for Caterpillars: a Father and Son Adventure – i pinged off the caterpillars to butterfly idea above. Although you might have to rewrite how the studies are written; i’m thinking of Isaiah or Jeremiah where there are interweaving poetry/prophecy with narrative passages

Without seeing it, you could title it after Col 3:1 which says “If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.” So, the title could be:

Searching the Sky: a Father and Son Adventure

Ben Coleman,

You are right. That is why I never allowed my children to own a BB gun. BB guns are toys–very dangerous toys.

I gave my children real guns and taught them that firearms are not toys. Never did my children “play” with guns.

• Keith Price says

CB – same thinking here. My dad wouldn’t let us have a BB-gun. My first gun was a 20 ga side-by-side. Firearm safety was paramount.

I didn’t let my kids have a BB gun either. My son’s first gun was a 16 ga muzzle-loading shotgun passed down from grandpa. No playing with guns in any generation in our household.

Keith Price,

No doubt your children have a proper respect for firearms. Well done. May your tribe increase in our culture.
            I wish George Zimmerman’s daddy had taught him the same. Then he might not have killed a kid who did not need to die, nor, in all likelihood was he ready to die.

3. Tarheel says

Here is an idea for a cautionary tale for children….

Maybe something addressing the idea that consuming alcohol is wrong and unwise, always, under any circumstance (especially if you are Calvinist) – but its really wise, smart and appropriate (especially if you are traditionalist) so long as a female pastor calls what the congregation is drinking “wine” when they drink grape juice while practicing an open Lord’s table on a Saturday. ;-)

wow…think I touched most of the recent controversies in that one….

• cb scott says

Here is a better cautionary tale for children.

Since the break of day over 4,000 people have died as a direct result of using alcohol as a beverage. This does not count accidental deaths such as automobile accidents related to drunken driving.

That is a true cautionary story you should tell your children.

Tarheel,

I actually laugh a great deal. Just not about dead people who died for no good reason. Saw too many. Too many were just kids.

Alcohol has killed more kids than all illegal drugs combined.

And guys, I am not going to look up your stats for you anymore. You can do that yourselves. You have time. If you feel that you don’t — well, take the time you normally use picking out your next imported beer. I am sure that will be time enough.

CB,

You just said that 4000 kids have died TODAY due to the use of alcohol as a beverage….surely you might understand why some might think, whoa…that’s a big number and ask the issuer of such a stat for evidence??

No, Tarheel,

That is not what I stated.

I stated, “Since the break of day over 4,000 people have died as a direct result of using alcohol as a beverage.”

4,000 people does not constitute 4,000 kids. However, one kid is too many, don’t you think?

Les Proudy,

My comment was a of a global magnitude. We are, as so many of you guys say, a “global society” now, right?

• Tarheel says

I stand corrected, CB … You were stating “people” with one stat, and “kids” with another. But both are still outlandish….and I looked, as Les did, at th CDC site…and now am even more convinced that you may be confused or something with your stat.

• Tarheel says

Ok, let’s say your 4000 stat is correct globally….how many of those “alcohol related deaths” were a result of occasional non intoxicating beverage consumption?

I ask that only because, well….that’s all anyone on this site has ever affirmatively argued. ;-)

Tarheel,

I don’t know.

I just know the use of alcohol as a beverage is unwise. . . . and beverage alcohol kills more kids that all illegal drugs combined.

• Tarheel says

My question is not irrelevant.

Everyone agrees that drunkenness is sinful, immoral and causes numerous types of deaths….but you keep intentionally conflating occasional, non intoxicating use of the beverage that some of us here speak of with drunkenness and abuse.

I’m still not calling you a liar…but you are intentionally using deceptive argumentation.

Yep, I know what global means.

WHO says there are 7,123 deaths each day “globally” from alcohol *related* deaths. That makes “4,000 people have died as a direct result of using alcohol as a beverage” globally, well, absolutely astounding! I keep looking for the sources for these and cannot find them on the world wide web.

• Tarheel says

Is it unwise to drink it then?

Tarheel,

I am not using deceptive argumentation. Also, I don’t care if you call me a liar. If I am lying, them I am a liar. However, in this case I am not lying.

“Maybe we should deduct from the “alcohol related” death figures those lives that are saved by the “glass of wine a day” doctors recommendations for those with heart issues?”

Right.

• Tarheel says

“Also, you, me, Les, or any person we know will never get drunk if we do not use alcohol as a beverage. The use of alcohol as a beverage is unwise.”

Well never get in a car wreck (kills a lot, I’m sure) if we never drive or ride in a car.

Never a plane crash if we never enter a plane.

Never a shipwreck if we don’t board a ship.

Therefore utilizing the transport of cars, planes, and ships is unwise because they cause lots of deaths, ya know. ;-)

Les Proudy,

I have never, not once, on any blog post, nor comment thread made any statement about the use of medicinal alcohol. I have always been careful to point out that the use of alcohol as a beverage is unwise.

CB,

“BTW, if you start using a bottle of Tylenol a day, I will state that is unwise also. Especially, if you drink a bottle of Tylenol with Codeine ever day.” :)

For the record, I don’t consume a bottle of wine nor anything else per day. Doc said a glass or two of wine each day would be good for me. But I don’t. With my schedule even a glass and I get sleepy. We maybe buy one bottle per month of 4 buck chuck from Trader Joe’s. Unless we have some sort of party.

• Tarheel says

You assume that because I don’t agree with you on prohibition that I drink imported beer…. That would be an incorrect assumption.

Tarheel,

I really don’t care if you drink bathtub gin or my former friends, Johnny Walker Red and Jack Black. The use of alcohol as a beverage is unwise and it has killed more kids that all illegal drugs combined.

• Tarheel says

Let me be clear…I’m NOT calling you a liar or trying to be provocative, CB …I’m simply, along with others, asking for real vidence to back up outlandish sounding stats you’ve presented as fact.

Tarheel,

I don’t care if you take my word or not. Over 4,000 people are still dead since daybreak as a direct result of the use of alcohol as a beverage.

• cb scott says

It is after midnight in Georgia. The daily count just started over. So drink up, boys. Drink to the dead and the dying. After all, all you guys can handle it, right?

Well, if we are going the sarcastic route with “Drink to the dead and the dying. After all, all you guys can handle it, right?” comments, yep, I can handle it. Scotch that is. That is actually my beverage of choice. Single malt, neat.

Les Prouty,

• Tarheel says

That could happen with any number of things…like say…guns.

Is it always unwise to own and keep handy guns because of wht might happen?

• Tarheel says

CB SAID “You don’t know if you can handle it…Right circumstance or circumstances, right time, maybe the perfect storm occur in your life, who knows? You, me, or anybody could cross the line. You know that. I know that.”

one word, as I said above….Guns.

Guns?

Tarheel, you are absolutely right. Did you see my comment about George Zimmerman.

Also, I think I have read that most hunting accidents wherein a guy is killed in a firearms accident, beverage alcohol is involved. However, it has been a log time since I read that, so don’t hold my feet to the fire on that one.

I do know that in every boating accident of which I ever had knowledge wherein a death occurred, beverage alcohol was involved. Of course, that is just my experience and not based upon any research.

CB,

“The truth is, you do not really know if you can handle it or not. No one does. That is a prideful statement and you know it.”

You interjected some sarcasm and I replied with some sarcasm.

Here’s the truth. My father was an alcoholic off and on from the time I was 6 or so until I was 30ish. He was a bad drunk. God got him out of all that. I know very well what alcohol CAN do. I have stories that would make many people puke.

So I try to stay very circumspect in my use of alcohol. But a) the scriptures do not forbid it and b) it is not *always* unwise.

• Tarheel says

But again…those are examples of abuse…

Neither Les nor I nor anyone else ive seen on this site, have ever argued in defense of abuse.

Les Proudy,

I may be mistaken, but I think you have shared about your dad in prior discussions. That is one reason I have a degree of trouble understanding your position.

We both have stories that would make people “puke” about the use of beverage alcohol. We both also know we have no real need for it and we both know its potential hazards. Therefore, I can’t help but be baffled that you still use alcohol as a beverage.

Let me quickly state, I do not think I am superior to you in spiritual matters. I believe you to be a godly man, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why you use beverage alcohol.

• cb scott says

“There ya go again using deceptive argumentation….intentionally conflating occasional, non intoxicating use with drunkenness.”

In this thread I also quoted data about directly related deaths from the use of beverage alcohol and I have stated that the use of beverage alcohol has killed more kids that all illegal drugs combined.

I have stated nothing more than that. I have also stated in another thread that George Zimmerman should have been taught that a firearm is not a toy and that he killed a kid who did not need to be killed. —– meaning had someone taught him a gun is not a toy, he may not have thought having one gave him a power no man has.

CB,

Thank you for your kind words. Yes my childhood was hell really in ways. And there was a time I did abuse alcohol in HS and college. But when God saved me things changed. I went teetotal in Baptist seminary and in Baptist church ministry…roughly 1984-1992. I became convinced that a biblical case could not be made for abstention. So then it came to be a personal issue or question.

Since then, 22 years, I have consumed moderately for personal enjoyment. I like diet Dr. Pepper. Get one whenever I have soda. I also like Sam Adams and single malt scotch. Sometimes I enjoy having some and have never in 22 years had any problem with control.

Because my dad had a huge problem does not mean I would. I hope I learned from the experiences.

Les Proudy,

I shared with my friend, Marty Duren, why I never did drink much when I was lost.

I did drink a little Johnny Walker and Jack Black from time to time when I was in long periods of not “working.” My reasons for not drinking had nothing to do with faith or concern for my fellow man. My reasons were completely mercenary.

I knew and heard about too many guys who died because they had had one too many before they went to work. I wanted my wits about me and desired to always be on top of my game. However, the man who I owe much to, was a drunk. He got drunk every Friday night if he was not working and stayed drunk until Sunday. From Monday until Friday noon, he was sober as a judge . . . .a judge who was not a drunk and on the take, that is. ;-)

So, my use of beverage alcohol never was much, but I just believed, even before I knew Jesus at all, that it was unwise for me to use it. Since I have become a Christ follower, I can see no good thing in the use of beverage alcohol.

• Tarheel says

“Tarheel, don’t do that. I have not made any argument other than to state, (a million times over) that the use of alcohol as a beverage is unwise.”

You’re acting as if what we’re contnding is the same as drunkenness. No one is arguing for drunkenness.

You would get no argument from me, and I suspect no one else on his issue if you’d just admit that “alcohol abuse causes many, many unecessary and preventable deaths.”. But instead you insist on saying beverage use does…as if all and any alcohol beverage use is equivilant to abuse/drunkenness.

Thats deceptive.

• Tarheel says

Lol….cats away and mice will play.

In our defense, you did “ask” for it though.

It’s just hard to walk away when someone (CB) is so wrong – and I’m obviously so right. It’s a burden I have to learn to bear better, though. ;-) Bless his heart.

This is my first and only comment on alcohol on this post.

Does grape juice offer the same heart benefits as red wine?
            “Possibly. Some research studies suggest that red and purple grape juices may provide some of the same heart benefits of red wine, including:
            Reducing the risk of blood clots
            Reducing low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or “bad”) cholesterol
            Preventing damage to blood vessels in your heart
            Helping maintain a healthy blood pressure
            Grapes are rich in health-protecting antioxidants, including resveratrol and flavonoids. These antioxidants are found mainly in the skin, stem, leaf and seeds of grapes, rather than in their pulp. The amount of antioxidants in grapes depends on many factors, including the kind of grape, its geographic origin and how it’s processed. Dark red and purple grapes tend to be higher in antioxidants than are white or green grapes. Likewise, the level of antioxidants such as resveratrol found in wine varies, with higher levels in red wine.
            Besides grape juice, other grape products may offer health benefits, including dealcoholized wine, grape extracts and grape powder.
            Keep in mind that it’s also beneficial to eat whole grapes — not just grape juice. Some research suggests that whole grapes deliver the same amount of antioxidants that are in grape juice and wine but have the added benefit of providing dietary fiber.”
            -Martha Grogan, M.D.

Even Christians who abstain from beverage alcohol accept the use of drugs for strictly medicinal purposes. But here it seems grapes (Isaiah 65:8), raisins, unfermented wine (grape juice) will have the same benefits as alcohol, without the harmful side effects.

And if you do some checking, there is some great unfermented wine out there.

C.B. is right, drinking beverage alcohol is unwise.
            David R. Brumbelow

• Greg Buchanan says

then, please delete everything not germane to the post and edit those posts that stray.

As a youth/former youth pastor, you understand herding kittens… it has prepared you for such a day/post as this.

• Greg Buchanan says

Yes I do. But if Dave is truly going to moderate for such things as this, then whip out the “DELETE” key and hop to it.

I can see this happening as the day goes on, but when he sees it as he did @ February 27, 2014 at 3:41 am, then get cracking. Don’t let it sit here like so much overflowing trash in the kitchen, clean it up and put in a fresh bag, as it were.

• Tarheel says

I understand what you are saying…but a delete overly controlling happy blog moderator will soon become a lonely moderator, absent chirping posts form loyal and close personal alliances/friends/those/ or like tribe if you will, basically those who agree with the moderator….I will not name them, but I think we all know of a few blogs where just that has happened.

I personally would hate to see SBCVoices follow that path.

• Greg Buchanan says

I agree. But in this case, the OP has nothing to do with this very distracting sub-thread/hijack. Small tangents and the odd comment about a sport are one thing, but something like this is too much.

The same could be said if the tangent was about Calvinism/Traditionalism or the CP or the current kerfflufle about the EC or anything else uber-controversial should be deleted. As i said, the idea being that it is grossly out of step with the OP

• Dave Miller says

First, it takes time to go back through and delete. Time I don’t have. I give warnings, then I close comments.

But, Tarheel, if people would simply listen to my warnings, I’d not have to delete and moderate and such.

• Dave Miller says

Also, I think it is a little bit disrespectful to the author of the post to take the post in a direction completely outside the scope of his post. A little joking, back and forth, sports gloating etc – no harm no foul.

But when alcohol is introduced on a comment stream about a children’s book, people are disrespecting the author.

• Greg Harvey says

The levity of suggesting that all a comment stream needs is a discussion of [insert a controversial subject here] has led us astray more than once…you’d think we were dumb sheep or something.

Oh please…

You Mr. Miller, were the one who first brought up alcohol, sir. Look at the time stamps.

Others brought up Calvinism , guns, and other comical posts relating to ‘controversies’.

I made a parody post (as did others), and CB went postal with outlandish comments, we took the bait…LOL

I already apologized for taking a thread that was never on topic further off topic.

I will also point out that of the initial comments….mine was pretty much the only serious one….so I followed the lead.

• Tarheel says

Correction, I see now…with the benefit of hindsight that Mr. Miller did not introduce the idea of alcohol to the thread…I did in what, again was an obvious parody and comical post – oulandish comments ensued and myself and Les engaged with CB….Your comment, again with the benefit of hindsight was likely one of exasperation, and likely a hint ‘not to go there’…but you did not say that clearly. I do apologize for not being more astute toward your warning last night.

Once you said this morning, Gentlemen this thread is NOT about alcohol…I got the hint and immediately stopped.

So your comment insinuating that I did not heed your request here is not true, not true at all.

You introduced the topic. And even after my requests (repeated) the discussion continued. Such is life.

But I think it is safe to say that on SBC Voices, I will NEVER introduce topics like that – because I find the foodfights that ensue unhelpful.

Tarheel,

I have never gone “postal” in my life. There’s no money in it.

BTW, I did not make any outlandish statements. I made statements with which you do not agree.

• cb scott says

“But every time you give an example to back up that contention its related to alcohol abuse instead of the occasional, non intoxicating beverage use that you know we’re talking about.”

Tarheel,

My position is that the use of alcohol as a beverage is unwise.

That is a declarative statement. There is no deception in it. The point of contention here is not me being deceptive. The point of contention here is that I am making a declaration and you refuse to accept it.

I am not being deceptive. Nor are you. The contention is simple. I know that the use of alcohol as a beverage is unwise. You declare it is not. You state that I am wrong. I respond that I don’t care what you think, feel, state, or do, the reality is; “The use of alcohol as a beverage is unwise.”

• Tarheel says

I have taken exception to the prohibitionist application of your “it’s unwise” declarative statement.

But anyway, we aren’t gonna agree on this…and Mr. miller has kindly asked that we stop…so Im’ma honor that request.

Plus, yea we high jacked Mike’s thread. Sorry, Mike.

well, kinda high jacked ….not that it ever was really on topic. ;-)

• Tarheel says

It has been done as you requested…and to think it all started with my little sarcastic parody of the recent controversies…. ;-)

4. Keith Price says

Mike:

How about a project title like – “When your children ask their fathers…” a play on Joshua 4:21 or “When your son asks you, what does this mean?” A play on Exodus 13:14.

Just a thought…

Keith

“Isaiah’s Big Boy Bible Study” sounds really good to me. It makes it more personal…or ‘My Big Boy Bible Study’. Or you can ask your son what he thinks the name should be.

Labeling people on Calvinism or any other -ism puts them in a box. I think it is wiser to let the Word of God speak for Himself. I believe God wants to show us how much He is not in a box and is not limited by our words.

As for alcohol, I grew up SBC certain I would NEVER partake. Then I studied the Bible further. In college, in another town where no one I knew would see me, I ordered a white wine with dinner…didn’t like it…tried to drink half…didn’t. So another time tried a red, blush, etc. But never really ever liked it. A light beer or wine cooler many years later, okay. I have wine bottles just sitting as decor mostly…aging I guess:)

However, in the past year I have learned to ferment for the health benefits and to study how food used to be preserved in ages past…sauerkraut, apple cider vinegar from the peels, milk kefir, water kefir, apple cider and kombucha. I have found salt to be very valuable to me now as in Bible times! I comprehend the meaning of salt now! I ferment apple juice for just a few days to lower the sugar content and promote healthy yeasts and bacteria before we consume it. I do not go looking for high alcohol content, but for the bit of health that comes with a short ferment.

I think that may be what was more likely the wine of Jesus’ day in some cases. Although, some was more highly fermented as well. We just don’t know.

When I say ‘short ferment’, I mean that I leave it out on the counter with a coffee filter over the top held with a rubber band. This lets it breathe and lets in healthy organisms which eat the sugar and act as a mild probiotic in your gut. Taste every few days and when the sugar is low and the acidity is still low, enjoy! This is helpful for those who need to avoid high sugar.

6. Greg Buchanan says

Dave, please use the eraser… this post isn’t about alcohol in any way shape or form. This was an unintentional hijack and should be dealt with as such: delete the non-relevant posts and let Mike continue to get some help, such as is available for what he is paying :)

And directing my comment to you was because you were bellowing about a “delete happy overly controlling blog moderator.” I was explaining to you why I sometimes exert my authority.

I know what happens when topics like that are introduced.
    I don’t like it.
    It takes too much time to go back and delete comments. (Plus, people act like they’ve been shot when you delete their comments).
    So, I make requests.
    People generally ignore my requests.
    I shut down comments.

That’s how it goes in the life of this “delete happy overly controlling blog moderator.”

• Tarheel says

lol… reread my comment I was not calling you those things.

I stated that others were that way – I do not think you are a controlling delete happy moderator.