How to End the Media Blackout of the Gosnell Case TODAY! (by Alan Cross)

by Guest Blogger on April 13, 2013 · 67 comments

Editor: the blackout is slowly ending, it seems, because of pressure being put on by people horrified at the evil perpetrated by Kermit Gosnell. Here is Alan Cross’ article published yesterday at Downshore Drift.

I wrote about this the other day, but the Media-Bias-Blackout of the Gosnell Abortion/Infanticide case in Philadelphia continues, by and large. Kirsten Powers wrote about it on Wednesday for the USA Today and she asked the questions that every member of the Media who reported on Sandra Fluke, Trayvon Martin, Newtown, Aurora, or any other story that gained national attention should be asking here: Why is the Media silent on the Kermit Gosnell Case?

See the Powers article here: http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2072577

Mollie Z. Hemingway, writing for Patheos, addressed this story yesterday and convinced me to start directly contacting reporters via Twitter about why they are not covering this case. Here are a couple of her articles:

Many groups are calling for a concerted Twitter barrage on national media outlets today to let them know that they need to be covering this story.

If you have Twitter and have some time, perhaps you will participate in highlighting this story and its implications. The fact that it is being ignored when we are hit everyday with banalities in our media coverage tells us all we need to know about the “truth” that we are getting from the national news media on this and who knows what other issues. Babies were killed – perhaps hundreds of them. This is a major story. It should be told.

Good to see Conor Friedersdorf pick up the story for The Atlantic now. He agrees that this should be front page news and details the horror of this story masterfully:

Conor says,

“For this isn’t solely a story about babies having their heads severed, though it is that. It is also a story about a place where, according to the grand jury, women were sent to give birth into toilets; where a doctor casually spread gonorrhea and chlamydiae to unsuspecting women through the reuse of cheap, disposable instruments; an office where a 15-year-old administered anesthesia; an office where former workers admit to playing games when giving patients powerful narcotics; an office where white women were attended to by a doctor and black women were pawned off on clueless untrained staffers. Any single one of those things would itself make for a blockbuster news story. Is it even conceivable that an optometrist who attended to his white patients in a clean office while an intern took care of the black patients in a filthy room wouldn’t make national headlines?

“But it isn’t even solely a story of a rogue clinic that’s awful in all sorts of sensational ways either. Multiple local and state agencies are implicated in an oversight failure that is epic in proportions! If I were a city editor for any Philadelphia newspaper the grand jury report would suggest a dozen major investigative projects I could undertake if I had the staff to support them. And I probably wouldn’t have the staff. But there is so much fodder for additional reporting.

“There is, finally, the fact that abortion, one of the most hotly contested, polarizing debates in the country, is at the center of this case. It arguably informs the abortion debate in any number of ways, and has numerous plausible implications for abortion policy, including the oversight and regulation of clinics, the appropriateness of late-term abortions, the penalties for failing to report abuses, the statute of limitations for killings like those with which Gosnell is charged, whether staff should be legally culpable for the bad behavior of doctors under whom they work…”

A list of some Twitter handles for major news outlets and reporters:

@ezraklein
@LIFE
@CNN
@DrSanjayGupta
@AndersonCooper
@thenation
@Politico

I encourage you to contact each of these news outlets and reporters and let them know that this story should be covered. Use any of the links above in your tweet.

1 Christiane April 13, 2013 at 8:14 am

Yesterday, CNN’s Anderson Cooper did report on the story AND mentioned that a part of the story was that people had protested about the media black-out.
Erin Burnett of CNN also reported the story and on the media black-out.

I did not watch FOX NEWS or MSNBC yesterday, so I do not know about their coverage (or lack thereof).

2 Robert Vaughn April 13, 2013 at 11:27 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I am mentioning this on my blog today to inform the few people who read it. I also think it is timely that this come out while Florida’s Congress discusses the Infants Born Alive bill (and Planned Parenthood opposes it).

3 Mark Lamprecht April 13, 2013 at 11:40 am

Dave, in conjunction with Alan’s post I think it would be helpful for those who tweet to use the resources (which I partly got from Alan) here: Instant Tweet Resources to End the Gosnell Media Blackout!

This will make tweeting about the event quick, easy and efficient. The links themselves have been clicked right from the site ~500 times.

4 Dave Miller April 13, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Cool.

5 Blake April 13, 2013 at 12:02 pm

So long as the story is about a “media blackout” it won’t be about the ethics of life. Don’t ruin the most important story pro-lifers may ever get to demand national debate and reflection on pro-life isssues.

6 John K April 13, 2013 at 12:05 pm

How is it possible that Newtown leads to a national discussion on gun violence and policy led by the President himself but Gosnell’s house of horror leads to not one word anywhere about proper restrictions on abortion?

Here are the number of times each of the five major networks covered the capital murder trial of Kermit Gosnell, the abortion doctor accused of murdering seven born alive babies and a patient. The trail started March 18th.

Here are the staggering results:
NBC: 0
MSNBC: 0
ABC: 0
CBS: 0
CNN: 1

Why is it the evangelical community has been mostly silent on this issue? Has your church addressed this issue?
Are we as silent on this issue as the News Media?

7 Blake April 13, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Why are pro-life Christians only now making a ruckus about the story when WorldNetDaily and Huffington Post have articles on this going back to 2011? I don’t think the media is entirely to blame.

8 Jess Alford April 13, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Dave,

This is the first I’ve heard of this story, people love money more than life
and will do anything to get more of it. We are in a world surrounded by
people who don’t know their right from their left.

Any one performing an abortion should receive the death penalty unless
the pregnancy will kill the mother, and if so, it should be the mothers choice.

9 Joe Blackmon April 16, 2013 at 7:05 am

Any woman getting an abortion, unless it’s for the same sort of life threatening medical reasons, should get life in prison with a tv in her room that plays nothing but children’s shows 24/7.

10 Alan Cross April 13, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Really guys? We are going to blame Christians? Maybe we didn’t know abou it? I had heard of the trial a while back, but from Christian blogs and such. We wanted the rest of the country to know. Slowly, it is working.

And yes, Mark’s link is much better than what I have. Use that. Many of the reporters on my list did either tweet or write about it yesterday, though. I was very grateful.

11 cb scott April 13, 2013 at 1:36 pm

“Really guys? We are going to blame Christians?”

Right as rain, Alan. Surely, no born again follower of Christ will blame Christians for this. How absolutely stupid is that or would it be if it happens?

Hey Dave, my use of the word “stupid” in the context better not get me deleted or banned today. That would just be stupid also, because sometimes stupid is a perfectly descriptive word and this is one of those times.

Thank you Alan for addressing this issue on Voices. Thank you, Mark Lamprecht, for making the contacts easier and faster.

All of you tweeter guys need to make this a rock and roll event, let the beat go on.

12 Chris Roberts April 13, 2013 at 1:55 pm

cb,

You may be wrong a lot, but you’re my kind of wrong (and you’re not wrong on this one).

13 cb scott April 13, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Chris Roberts,

Thank you. . . . and I will take the words “may be wrong” as the highly and extremely operative words in your comment and redefine the word “lot” as meaning “once in a blue moon” definition of “a lot.”

Seriously, Chris, the story ,as it has unfolded, sounds like a chapter from the life of Marquis de Sade. This thing is putrid. However, one must ask himself, are there others like Gosnell yet to be exposed?

14 Chris Roberts April 13, 2013 at 4:39 pm

There are always others.

15 cb scott April 13, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Yep, and that brings about some very sobering reflection . . . . or at least it should.

16 Chief Katie April 16, 2013 at 1:46 pm

cb,

I can think of one (it hurts my brain and spirit it do so) who claims the name of Jesus Christ as his Savior, and as such, he claimed to be a Christian. His name is Dr. (Lt) George Tiller. He is otherwise known as Dr. Death for his willingness to do late term abortions up to the moment before a natural birth, and for phrases such as ‘Trust women” . He offered a complete butcher shop, complete with tiny coffins and complimentary pictures of the dead child.

I can’t abide the fact that another so-called Christian gunned Dr. Tiller down in the lobby of his ELCA church. However, the entire idea that any of this is Christian behavior is truly an abomination.

Come Lord Jesus.

17 John K April 13, 2013 at 1:42 pm

As you state “Maybe we didn’t know abou it?”
Maybe it would be advantages to tweet some of our Pastor friends along with the media if this is the case.

I was not blaming the Christian community, I was however wondering how informed the community is and if the Media blackout even extended amongst the Church. From your response it seems the media blackout has been very affective in your circle.

If one does not identify issues how would one know if and what solutions may be needed. I hope we include the evangelical community today as part of our tweeting.

18 Les Prouty April 13, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Thanks for this. Great ideas. I also wonder where Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are on this, especially given the discrimination component…their only real issue, real or perceived. Maybe they should be hit with tweets too.

19 volfan007 April 13, 2013 at 2:59 pm

This just shows how far down in depravity our world has spiraled. And, we’re circling the bowl. I dont think we’ve reachd the gurgling noise part, yet, but we’re circling fast.

Really, we could all see stuff like this coming. With abortion being so prevalent….with evolution being taught to our children for years and years, now….that we’re all just mammals type of thinking…..so, to kill a human is nothing more than shooting down a dog….there’s no Creator to answer to….so, kill babies….even after they’ve been born. It’s okay. And, if you dont like people, and you’re mad at the world; then just go to a school and kill as many as you can.

I mean, I think we’re reaping what’s been sown in America for a long time. We’re reaping the whirlwind.

And, it’s sad. REally sad.

CB, I agree with you…..things like what this fella did those babies is putrid. Good word for such a evil thing.

Alan, I agree with you that for the news media to ignore this, is…well, it’s amazing…especially when they’ve made such a big deal about the other things you’ve mentioned.

20 cb scott April 13, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Vol,

It is the kind of thing by which nightmares are birthed.

21 Dave Miller April 13, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I saw an interesting statement about Gosnell, in which he described himself as a “good person.” What a world we live in where the baby butcher of Philadelphia can define himself as good.

22 cb scott April 13, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Sounds kinda like an Isaiah 5:20 thing don’t it?

23 Bruce H. April 14, 2013 at 7:33 am

If I knew how to post it on YouTube I would.

24 Bennett Willis April 14, 2013 at 6:37 pm

The descriptions of Gosnell’s “clinic” sound like common descriptions of the “good old days” that I have heard.

25 Dave Miller April 14, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Not sure what your point is here.

26 Joe Blackmon April 15, 2013 at 7:53 am

His point is “Thank goodness abortion is legal or we’d see more of this”.

27 Bennett Willis April 15, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Joe, your usual point seems to be that pregnancy when you don’t want the child is God’s punishment for having sex. Do you feel this way about the people who went to Gosnell?

However, except for the “Thank goodness,” you did state my point very well.

Do you think that my point has any validity?

Would this sort of “clinic” be more common if abortion was not legal?

28 Dave Miller April 15, 2013 at 2:18 pm

To defend the butchery of children performed in abortion clinics daily in America with the specter of illegal abortion clinics is, to me, morally reprehensible.

29 Chris Roberts April 15, 2013 at 2:30 pm

It is possible (perhaps even likely) that this type of clinic would be more common if abortion was illegal, but at the same time it is certain that there would be far fewer dead babies.

30 Bennett Willis April 15, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Chris, how can you be sure? It is hard to get data on something that is illegal. In the states where there are only one or two clinics that officially offer abortions, do you think that these are the only places you can get an abortion in those states?

31 Chris Roberts April 15, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Bennett,

“do you think that these are the only places you can get an abortion in those states?”

Probably. Can you demonstrate that there are other places or that illegal abortions take place in those states? The burden on society is to outlaw this practice, treating abortion as what it is: the murder of a human life. If we make the right move and outlaw abortion, then the next right move is to prosecute those who continue the practice. There is zero doubt that the outlawing of abortion would close down all established abortion clinics, greatly reducing the availability of abortion. There is zero doubt that prosecuting abortions would drastically reduce (though certainly not eliminate – people break every law on the books) the practice of abortion.

32 Joe Blackmon April 15, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Your point has no validity whatsoever. Would there be more clinics like Gosnell if infanticide were illegal? I have no idea. Doesn’t matter. If infanticide were illegal, women would be taking their lives in their own hands getting abortions. it would be dangerous and they could potentially die because an unlicenced or untrained person was performing the procedure. Funny thing, the last time I checked (and admittedly, it has been awhile) we don’t try to make things safer for rapists, murderers, or thieves. If one of them got hurt, hilled, or maimed they got what was coming to them.

Also, I have never said that pregnancy is God’s punishment. I’ve said if you don’t want the baby but have sex anyway, I want you to be forced to take responsibility for your choices. I want the girl the have an icy hand grip her heart when she realizes she can’t afford to take care of her child and her man is not going to take responsibility. I want the boy to feel his blood turn ice cold with terror because he’s going to be saddled with child support payments because of a one night stand and there’s nothing he can do about it–no more football scholarship, no fun on Friday and Saturday nights. He’s made his choice–no he gets to pay for it.

33 Greg Harvey April 16, 2013 at 1:54 pm

“Would this sort of “clinic” be more common if abortion was not legal?”

Here’s a section from the James Taranto article that I linked elsewhere that answers that speculation rather constructively:

“One of the strongest practical arguments in favor of the Roe regime is that abortion has been around since time immemorial and outlawing it only drove it underground, leading women to endanger themselves by seeking out the services of back-alley quacks. The Philadelphia grand jurors recounted a powerful example from their own city’s history.

It was called the Mother’s Day Massacre. A young Philadelphia doctor “offered to perform abortions on 15 poor women who were bused to his clinic from Chicago on Mother’s Day 1972, in their second trimester of pregnancy.” The women didn’t know that the doctor “planned to use an experimental device called a ‘super coil’ developed by a California man named Harvey Karman.”

A colleague of Karman’s Philadelphia collaborator described the contraption as “basically plastic razors that were formed into a ball. . . . They were coated into a gel, so that they would remain closed. These would be inserted into the woman’s uterus. And after several hours of body temperature, . . . the gel would melt and these . . . things would spring open, supposedly cutting up the fetus.”

Nine of the 15 Chicago women suffered serious complications. One of them needed a hysterectomy. The following year, the Supreme Court decided Roe v. Wade. It would be 37 more years before the Philadelphia doctor who carried out the Mother’s Day Massacre would go out of business. His name is Kermit Gosnell.”

I would answer that the answer to your question, Bennett, is an emphatic yes. But not quite in the way you expected it…

34 Randall Cofield April 14, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Yeah, that might bear some clarification. I near ’bout swallowed my keyboard when I initially read it…

“…good old days” as in back-alley, coat-hanger abortions???

35 Bennett Willis April 14, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Yep.

36 volfan007 April 15, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Bennett,

Your attitude and thinking about this subject is disgusting.

37 Bennett Willis April 15, 2013 at 10:56 pm

David, you have no idea what my thinking on this subject is. How do you feel that you can say my thinking is disgusting?

38 volfan007 April 15, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Well, Bennett, it sounds like you’re saying that having good, safe, abortion clinics is preferable to abortion being illegal. It sounds like you’re saying that it’d be better to have a couple of safe abortion clinics, so that women wouldnt have to go to the back alley, murdering, abortion “doctors.”

That’s exactly what it sounds like you’re saying in the comments above. Am I wrong?

39 Joe Blackmon April 15, 2013 at 11:08 pm

You said you were glad abortion was legal. Therefore, your attitude and thinking about the subject is disgusting. It is also the exact opposite of what God thinks about the subject.

40 Bennett Willis April 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm

What is the opinion readers of this blog of the woman involved in an abortion? Is she simply a soul that is damned for eternity? She does it for fun? This was her plan all along? She got an abortion for a lark? She murders babies when she does not have anything better to do? Based on what I read here, this is what I would conclude are your opinions.

If she was a reader of this blog and a member of your church, would she come to you for council or would she avoid you like the plague because (based on what you wrote here) you think she was a murderer just because she could?

As you keep pointing out, there are two people involved in an abortion. Then you focus on only the one that does not survive. I expect that several of you refer/assist women in getting into a “pregnancy help center.” But if I were a woman and read this blog, and was pregnant and in a desperate situation, I would not get near any of you ever again.

Now, David, you know something of what I think on this subject.

41 Chris Roberts April 16, 2013 at 12:03 am

Bennett,

Few people commit murder on a lark or just for fun.

42 volfan007 April 16, 2013 at 12:07 am

Bennett,

Abortion is murder…the murder of innocent, little babies in what should be the safest place in all the world….it’s own Mother’s womb.

And, for someone to say that abortion should be legal is disgusting.

43 Bennett Willis April 16, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I think that this set of replies made my point better than I did to start with.

44 Dave Miller April 16, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Bennett, I think our difficulty here is rooted in core convictions.

We would believe that the killing of babies in their mothers’ wombs is a moral evil, one that cannot be tolerated.

Because of that belief, our goal is not to make abortions safer, but to stop them.

I don’t think anyone here wants to punish women who get legal abortions – they generally deal with guilt and have often been manipulated or victimized anyway.

But we cannot, out of concern for women who might want to seek an abortion, change our conviction that abortion is an unconscionable evil, the killing of a baby in its mother’s womb! We seek to make abortions illegal (in the ideal) so that mothers will not make that decision.

If abortion is illegal (as it certainly should be in a moral culture) and the mother decides to seek a illegal abortion, she would then assume the risk. Illegal abortionists should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but we cannot let the pro-abortionists’ tired song of “if you make abortion illegal, there will be back alley, clothes hanger abortions by the millions” force us to allow a moral evil to become legal.

What your position does is ignore the truth – abortionists kill babies. That’s what they do. They are baby butchers.

Women are victimized by the lies of the pro-abortion crowd almost as much as their soon-to-be-killed babies are. But that is no reason to make human butchery legal.

45 Greg Harvey April 15, 2013 at 3:47 am

Leviticus 18 needs a good airing out in our society. You don’t even have to explain it. Just read it out loud.

46 Bruce H. April 15, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Fox is reporting it right now. 1:12 PM, April 15th.

47 Bill Mac April 15, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Person A hires person B to kill person C. In the old days, when person B killed person C, person A was often harmed as well. When killing persons C became legal, persons B became so adept at killing persons C that they could usually do it without harming persons A.

Now the only obstacle facing person A is the financial cost of hiring person B to kill person C, but many hope that some day soon the entire society will be forced to pay for the killing, thus removing the last inconvenience for person A.

This is an improvement?

48 Joe Blackmon April 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm

The really strange thing is, I’m perfectly ok with that.

49 volfan007 April 15, 2013 at 11:08 pm

When a person plays with the Devil, then they shouldnt be shocked when they get burned.

50 Joe Blackmon April 16, 2013 at 7:01 am

It’s called “consequences”. Political liberals should look that word up.

51 Bill Mac April 16, 2013 at 8:42 am

Well, I’m not ok with that and I doubt you really are too. But my point is that we’ve really sunk low as a society when making abortion “safe” is considered progress.

52 Greg Harvey April 16, 2013 at 8:56 am

Gosnell is about keeping abortion “providers” in business of making money for delivering babies for the purpose of killing them. Molech would be proud of Gosnell. Hence the Leviticus 18 reference earlier.

Here’s James Taranto’s take from his recurring “Best of the Web Today” online column. I have to warn you: he’s both an atheist and not a committed pro-lifer. But he reports on constitutional law and has an insightful–often to the point of acerbic–style.

53 volfan007 April 16, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Bennett,

When people rob banks, then they should expect to…possibly,…be arrested and thrown in jail; or shot by policemen. When people make meth, then they should know that there’s a chance of that thing blowing up in their faces; or that they could be arrested and thrown into jail. When men rape women, then they should think about the fact that they could be shot by these women; or that they might be captured and thrown into jail.

So, the old, back alley “doctors” and poor, pitiful women, who suffered these abortions, doesnt hold any water for me. If you play with fire, then sometimes you get burned….and sometimes, you get burned bad.

As Baretta used to say, “Dont do the crime, if you cant do the time.”

54 Ryan Abernathy April 16, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I am pro life. I am an adopted child who could have been aborted. So is my sister. I believe life begins at conception. I believe abortion is murder. I wish abortion had never been legalized and pray for its end in America and anywhere else it is practiced.

All that said, I also believe Jesus died to forgive sinners of whom I am the worst. No sin is beyond His ability to cover. So the comments in this stream make me as sad as the act of abortion. They show no grace, no mercy, and no recognition of the grace we all stand in as sinners in need of a Savior. The women who have aborted babies are sinners in need of a Savior in the same way I was. They will face God one day for the lives they have ended. Is that not enough? Why do you guys- all men by the way- insist on piling on and adding to the untold misery many of these women have already suffered? Where do you find that in the Gospels?

I would call all of you to John 8. There is a woman who has been caught in the very act of a sin worthy of death. Jesus stands in the gap for her and offers her what? Grace. Why? She was worthy of death. There was no denying it. She deserved to die. He offered her grace because that is what He does. He brings grace to people who have done the blackest of deeds- driven by His love for us in spite of ourselves.

We need to take a hard look at how we as the church deal with the PEOPLE who are involved in abortion. We need to see them as men and women who Jesus died to save. When we approach the issue with compassion we will be head. Until then, our hate is outshouting our message.

55 Dave Miller April 16, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I don’t think anyone is arguing that abortion is unpardonable or that we should mistreat those who have been victimized by the sin.

56 volfan007 April 16, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Dave,

Amen.

57 Ryan Abernathy April 16, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I’m sorry but based on the tone of the comments of Joe and Volfan I must respectfully disagree. Aborted children are people and they deserve our respect and our tears for their loss. The mothers and the doctors deserve our tears as well and deserve to be treated as image bearers of God whose sin is just as grievous as our own, just as damning, and just as in need of redemption. That is NOT how they have been spoken about in this thread.

Considering that Jesus says that hating someone is the same as killing them I know of at least one poster in this thread who is as guilty as any abortionist of murder and his own words and actions testify to this effect.

We need to turn down the rhetoric and turn up the Gospel when it comes to dealing with abortion. There but for the grace of God would many of us have gone.

58 volfan007 April 16, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Ryan,

What have I said that is NOT TRUE?

59 Ryan Abernathy April 16, 2013 at 11:48 pm

David,

There are ways to speak truth without being crude or harsh, even when speaking of things that are cruel and harsh. Ephesians 4:15- “speaking the truth in love.”

In the Greek, the word love there would be “unconditional love” or with “kindly concern” Can you honestly go back and read the comments you have made about women who have had abortions and say that those words have been spoken in this thread with kindly concern?

That’s all I am saying. Not that what you have said is not true, but that the truths you have written have been expressed with a level of callous disregard that those women have shown for their unborn children.

60 volfan007 April 16, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I believe that women, who’ve had abortions, can find grace and mercy from the Lord….if they repent. I believe that abortion doctors can find grace and mercy from the Lord, if they repent. I am the worst of sinners, and I found grace and mercy from the Lord.

Now, on a whole nother side of this issue….when people participate in SIN, then many times they have to face the consequences. Sometimes, the consequences are very harsh.

So, I am for abortion being illegal, because abortion is the murder of babies. And, if women seek to murder their babies, and go to a back ally “doctor,” because abortion is illegal; then they might suffer to making a very poor, sinful choice.

61 Debbie Kaufman April 17, 2013 at 12:18 am

Wow. If this is your version of Christianity, which is not the Bible’s version, I want no part of it. You guys have never seen a woman with a botched abortion. I have worked in the medical field for 20 plus years. You have no idea what you are saying having not seen it up close and personal. In any even, you are wrong to say this and although I am against abortion, there is no way I would wish a botched backstreet abortion on anyone. You want your world so sanitized and it is not. In the real world, roll up your sleeves and get good and dirty to be kind to those you disagree with. Who have done something like have an abortion. Try it.

How would Christ treat a woman who had an abortion. Good grief. I am so angry.

62 Debbie Kaufman April 17, 2013 at 12:20 am

You guys need to get out of your sanitized Christian world for awhile and don’t tell me you have or you wouldn’t be making these crazy remarks.

63 Debbie Kaufman April 17, 2013 at 12:22 am

And these women don’t deserve it. Sometimes it is the only thing they know and their only recourse in their mind. They are not going to think like Christians because they are not Christian. They dont’ know the good news because too many like you condemn them. Think a little before you speak.

64 Dave Miller April 17, 2013 at 12:37 am

Debbie, please feel free to enter the discussion. If you can do no better than insulting and denigrating others, then your contribution is not needed.

Thanks.

65 Dave Miller April 17, 2013 at 12:38 am

I simply do not have time anymore to manage comment streams that are devolving into angry exchanges. I’m shutting it down.

Honestly, folks, we can do better than this.

66 Dave Miller April 16, 2013 at 11:15 pm

For the record, I just opened up my computer (about 10 PM) and found this little exchange.

I deleted the entire series, starting with Bennett’s comment that he requested me to delete.

Let me make my position on this clear. Joe is a friend and I hope that doesn’t change. He is also a friend who sometimes frustrates me because he says things that are harsh and unkind. That is why his comments are on moderation – they have to be approved by me before they appear here.

There was a glitch in the system that allowed Joe’s comments on this post to appear without my approval. However, I thought they were all acceptable. I have corrected the problem and his comments are back in moderation.

I have no control over Joe’s personal emails. I am aware of his tendency to write blistering emails to people as a result of exchanges here, but I can do nothing about that. I generally do not think that personal emails should be published as happened here, but the bigger issue is that such emails should never be written in the first place.

Joe, if you read this, Bennett has admitted, in a deleted comment, that he should not have posted your private email. But the fact is you sent an email that no Christian ought to ever send. It was as sinful as any abortion, though no blood was spilled. A private apology to Bennett is absolutely essential as a response to your sin and a public apology here would be a great idea.

Know that I remain, and will remain for my part at least, your friend. I believe you can be much more than you have been. You have a passion for the things of the Lord and I believe your faith is sincere. But sometimes, my friend, you let your mouth serve the works of the flesh instead of the fruit of the Spirit.

I love you, my brother, but you can do better than this!

67 Dave Miller April 16, 2013 at 11:21 pm

And there is absolutely no reason to comment on this exchange anymore. The topic of the post remains open for discussion and my email I use for SBC Voices business (davemillerisajerk@hotmail.com) is also open.

Further comments on the deleted emails will be deleted.