How to Write a Ministry Resume’

This article was originally posted at my site. Only some of my articles are posted on SBC Voices. If you would like access to all of my articles, you can follow my feed here. You can also connect with me on TwitterFacebook, and Google+.

Although it is not biblically ideal, in today’s ministry world, most churches expect potential pastors or ministry leaders to submit a resume’.  Over the years, while being considered by churches, I have received numerous compliments on the layout, organization, and information of my resume’.  The goal is to fit as much pertinent information about yourself in as small of a space as possible.  Like it or not, your resume’ is often your first impression.  If you half-way organize it with little thought, then the committee or pastor will naturally perceive you as “unorganized,” “scatter-brained,” and possibly lazy.  Furthermore, this resume’ is two pages long; and I recommend that your resume’ does not expand any longer than 2 pages.  Committees are often sifting through near 100 resumes’ or more.  You need to respect their time while encouraging them to respect your time as well.  Make sure that all your information is pertinent.  Only include non-pertinent information if their inclusion does not put you over 1 or 2 pages at the most.  Here is my resume'; feel free to use the layout as a framework for your resume(s)’.  If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to respond.

Jared H. Moore

(Address)

(City, State, Zip)

Home: (Phone Number); Cell: (Phone Number)

Email: jaredhmoore(at)hotmail(dot)com

PERSONAL INFORMATION

• Date of Birth: 00/00/0000
  • Salvation: February 1998
  • Married to Amber Moore (2005)
  • One son, Caden Heath Moore (00/00/00) and one daughter, Ava Leigh Moore (00/00/00)

EDUCATION

• Undergraduate Studies -. B.A. in Biblical Studies: Concentration in Theology from Trinity Theological Seminary, Newburgh, IN.
  • Graduate Studies – M.A.R. in Biblical Studies from Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary in Lynchburg, VA.
  • Graduate Studies – M.Div. in Christian Ministry from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY.
  • Advanced Graduate Studies – Th.M. in Systematic Theology from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY (Graduate in May 2012)

MINISTRY OBJECTIVE

My ministry objective is for God alone to be glorified.  Because of this objective, I long to preach the gospel, apply God’s Word, and love His people.  Christ has accomplished all and justified me; therefore, I live for Him out of gratitude for His finished work in satisfying God’s wrath and sealing my salvation.  I must do whatever is allowed by God to reach others with the gospel, and to cultivate growth in them to maturity in Christ.  Furthermore, I seek to equip the saints for the work of the ministry.  “Everyone has a ministry” is the mentality all Christians must have.  Finally, evangelists are who we are as Christians; meaning that evangelism is more than just something we participate in once a week, month, year, or lifetime.  Rather, we should participate in evangelism on a daily basis as we take the name of Jesus with us.

CHURCH EXPERIENCE

• 02/10 – Present:  Full time Senior Pastor, New Salem Baptist Church, Hustonville, KY
  • Oversee all Ministries of the Church
  • Preach Sunday morning, Sunday evening and Wednesday evening
  • Teach Discipleship Training
  • Develop and Oversee visitation program
  • Perform necessary counseling, weddings, and funerals
  • Organize Revivals, Special Events, and Speakers
  • Regularly call and/or visit members and prospects
  • Properly oversee and carry out the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper

• 11/06 – 02/10:  Full time Senior Pastor, Union Fork Baptist Church, Soddy Daisy, TN
  • Oversee all Ministries of the Church
  • Preach Sunday morning, Sunday evening and Wednesday evening
  • Teach Sunday School
  • Occasionally lead singing portion of worship service
  • Develop and Oversee G.R.O.W. visitation program
  • Perform necessary counseling, weddings, and funerals
  • Organize Revivals, Special Events, and Speakers
  • Regularly call and/or visit members and prospects
  • Moderate church business meetings

• 10/02-11/06:  Full time Youth Pastor, Pine Eden Baptist Church, Crossville, TN
  • Teach Wednesday night class and Sunday school
  • Plan and coordinate youth summer camps and retreats
  • Plan and lead Wednesday night youth worship
  • Plan youth mission trips and mission activities
  • Plan and Coordinate Youth Revival
  • Prepare annual youth budget
  • Counsel with youth
  • Occasionally fill pulpit
  • Develop overall youth ministry program
  • Develop youth leadership committee
  • Plan and coordinate Outreach ministry

• 3/01-8/02:  Part time Youth Pastor, Cedar Hill Baptist Church, Baxter, TN
  • 5/00-3/01:  Youth Ministry Intern at Gum Springs Baptist Church, Walling, TN

• Ordained September 2, 2001, at Gum Springs Baptist Church, Walling, TN 38587

HOBBIES AND INTERESTS

• Writing, Sports, Playing the Guitar, Independent Theological Studies

REFERENCES

1) (Name, Position, Location, City, State, Phone Number, Email)

2) (Name, Position, Location, City, State, Phone Number, Email)

3) (Name, Position, Location, City, State, Phone Number, Email)

4) (Name, Position, Location, City, State, Phone Number, Email)

5) (Name, Position, Location, City, State, Phone Number, Email)

Comments

Jared,

Thanks for sharing. I’ve not applied for ministry positions as of yet, but maybe in the future. I actually work in Human Resources and think your layout is pretty good. Since I have to comply with the non-discrimination policies I cringe a little when I see the DOB and other personal information, but I understand it’s almost a requirement for almost all churches these days.

I also like that you keep your resume up to date. I recently did so with mine as well. I have a few comments on your content, if you’ll permit me:

Oversee all Ministries of the Church
    Perhaps it would be helpful to identify those ministries, some of your oversight functions, and the number of people you directly supervise.
    Preach Sunday morning, Sunday evening and Wednesday evening
    You could add “to groups ranging from XX to XX people.”
    Perform necessary counseling, weddings, and funerals
    Maybe you could identify the number of weddings and funerals you’ve done (to show you’re experienced). Could identify the types of counseling.
    Organize Revivals, Special Events, and Speakers
    Identify specific instances and events. (see below)

One thing we in HR recommend (take it for what it’s worth, we’re not ministerial positions) is to not identify job elements and responsibility, but accomplishments and activities. A listing of job duties doesn’t tell me how often or how well you do something. Just because a minister is responsible for something doesn’t mean he actually does anything with it (like the pastor who is the de facto member of all church committiees but has little to no involvement in them).

Here’s an example from my resume:

• Provided personal customer consultation on a wide range of employee relations issues regarding leave policies, employee behavior and performance issues, reasonable accommodations, and other regulatory requirements pertaining to Title V, U.S.C.
    • Routinely facilitated training events on such topics as Communication Styles, Personal Development, Employee Relations Policies, and Managing Employee Behavior and Performance before audiences of up to 30 supervisors and non-supervisors
    • Used Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) to update training facilitation materials and to generate new job aids and training materials for in-house leadership courses

I recognize there’s a difference between resumes geared towards churches and resumes geared towards the business sector, but this is my two cents from the HR perspective. Take it for what it’s worth.

2. BDW says

I’ve heard several different people lately in career services say that you aren’t supposed put References on the resume. Instead, put references on a separate sheet. References are to be provided upon request.

I don’t know about resumes for church positions though.

Baylor grads give my wife (who does Econ. Development for Chamber of Commerce) their resume quite frequently with the hope that she’ll pass it on to employers for openings that come across her desk. More often than not, the BU grad will have a resume that it inappropriate for a secular job. They’ll give her the same resume that helped them land a job with a church or Christian ministry.

3. Joseph says

I think it’s unnecessary to include a date of salvation, as if everyone can pinpoint the time of regeneration.

Joseph,

I agree somewhat. Paul was converted at a specific period of time. I don’t think it’s a huge issue. I just remember that February and that time period whenever I was distinctly different than I was before. Truthfully, I don’t know the exact time/date. I put February 1998 because my life changed then…

• Max says

Good resume format, Jared!

Speaking of Paul, I have always been impressed with his ministry background:

“I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.” (2 Cor: 23-28).

” If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless. But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.” (Phillipians 3:4-9)

I’m certainly not suggesting that pastoral candidates add to their resumes items regarding prison sentences, beatings, being constantly on the move, wrestling with false believers, homelessness, church pressures, etc. … unless those are part of your personal testimony in the journey from old man to new man. I feel the power of your resume rests in the “Ministry Objectives” section more than any other information provided. While educational background and ministry positions are certainly of value, an astute pastor search committee will be keenly focused on your heart … which would best be articulated in this section and in response to their inquiries regarding your personal testimony and relationship with Christ.

Sorry, if I deviated from the blog thread a bit to reflect on these things in the context of ministry qualifications. One last reflection … Paul’s C.V. (if we can call selected passages that) closely resembles ministers taking the Gospel to parts of the world today where the church is persecuted. We are certainly blessed in America to have the freedom to put our profession in writing and circulate such document along with a multitude of other candidates to countless churches which meet openly each week. May we continue to pray for those who don’t have this privilege.

In dealing w/ the search committees I have in the past (and hopefully have seen my last one for a long time), and having two parents who have served on 3 search committees in my life time, I’ve gotten a lot of input and actually disagree with several things you mention.

First, it’s been my experience that in ministry context longer is actually better. Yes, in business they want short and pithy, but as churches are looking through 100’s of resumes they want substance. In my parent’s church, I saw more short resumes rejected because there wasn’t enough there to tell them about the person than longer resumes. I’ve found four pages works pretty well.

Second, layout. Again, yes we include DOB and marital status, etc. on our resumes in the ministry context (a lot of items we would not include on a secular resume), but in most cases this isn’t the pertinent info churches are looking for, so I bump that to page 2.

On my first page, I do introduce myself w/ name, addy, phone #, and email (plus a cute little picture–churches seem to like that), but then I go immediately into four categories that take up the page:
    1. Short “objective” statement
    2. Philosophy of ministry and related scripture references
    3. Teaching style and related scripture references
    4. Statement about my “conversion and call to ministry” and related scripture references :)

Then on page 2, I get to the “personal” info: DOB, marital status, etc. as well as education and prior church experience.

Page 3 is other work experience and references.

Then on page 4, I include a doctrinal statement. It starts with the typical statement about generally supporting the BF&M2000, but then provides seven personalized points concerning: scripture, God, the person of Christ, mankind, sin and salvation, the church, and last things. I’ve found churches appreciate a little further explanation on these things.

The added info ends up helping the church make a better and more informed decision as they process all the resumes and decide which ones they want to pursue and which ones they shred.

Mike, you offer some great thoughts. This last search committee that sought me out for the current church I pastor, looked through around 100 resumes’. They received one resume’ that was hand-written, and barely legible. They narrowed the candidates down to 4, and 2 of the other candidates had been divorced. This church did not want a pastor that had been divorced (If you have been divorced or your spouse has, you probably need to include this info. in your resume’). A doctrinal statement is a great idea.

I don’t know though about a 4-page resume’? Seems like it would be too long if the committee was reading through 100 4-page resumes’. But, I think your organization is good in that if they like the first 2-pages of your resume’, then they have the other info. handy to possibly distinguish you from the others.

Trackbacks