Six motions were introduced, 3 by the inimitable Willey Drake.
1. Tim Overton moved a recommendation on tithing.
Might be out of order because it’s more of a resolution. Will get referred.
2. Wiley Drake moved we join with something called American Spring which is calling for impeachment of Obama.
Almost died for lack if a second. Will die in the program committee.
3. Alan Cross offered a motion asking the convention to authorize the president to appoint a task force to study the progress of racial reconciliation and make concrete proposals to further that cause.
This has a good chance of getting put on the program.
4. Bob Lilly moved that LifeWay sto poo selling the NIV2011.
I think this is 4 years in a row. DOA.
5. Wiley Drake moved we join with some group to celebrate racial reconciliation on the Gettysburg battlefield.
6. Wiley Drake moved we discipline the church in Lamirada that gave approval to homosexuality.
Out of order. Article III already addresses that. We need not address it again. That church is no longer a cooperative SBC church.
It may be a sign of things to come in a potentially peaceful convention that only 6 motions were offered and the time for offering motions ended 20 minutes early.
Nothing explosive here.
Executive Committee Report
Frank Page is making the EC report. Not sure if the Article III recommendation will go forward now or later.
Word is that a very good compromise motion will be offered. The EC listened to the concerns of the people. That kind of transparency and openness is what we need from all of our entities.