Save the Cheetahs, but Slay the Children

by Jared Wellman on July 3, 2014 · 8 comments

I’ll never forget an experience I once had in one of my pastorates in East Texas, an experience that highlights the illogical atrocity that is liberal thinking. In attempts to raise money for a Christian School associated with the church, one of our members raffled off a cow for butchering. After the raffle was over he took the cow to the butcher, but it was turned away because it was pregnant.

To be clear, I get this. Butchering a pregnant cow is weird. Let the cow have the baby, then butcher it. And then butcher the cow’s baby once it grows up. That’s the circle of life. Lion King teaches us that. And so does the Bible (Gen 9:3). But, when we live in a society where it’s wrong to butcher a baby cow, but okay to butcher a baby human, something is cataclysmically amiss. And this is precisely the kind of society in which we live.

One of the major stories circulating social networks right now is that of a young Texas girl named Kendall Jones, whom many berate because of her African hunting expedition in which she killed a leopard, an elephant, and a lion (oh my!), among other animals. Many are calling Kendall “sick and depraved,” even going as far as signing an online petition against her that had already garnered 40,000 signatures by July 1.

The petition is “for the sake of all animals.”

But does the word “depraved” really describe Kendall Jones and her hunting hobby? I mean, is she really “wicked”? Is she really “corrupt”? Is she really “perverted”? Because that is what the word “depraved” means. Isn’t it more logical to assign this word to those that support the hunting of humans, particularly innocent ones in the womb?

While I believe that it’s important to preserve endangered animals, I also believe that humans are more valuable than animals. This is what it means that God created “man in his image,” something he never attributes to animals (Gen 1:27). And this is the real problem. People are more offended when a High School cheerleader slays a ferocious lion than when one slays an innocent baby.

Thus, it’s okay for a woman to have the right to kill an unborn human, but not okay for her to kill a vicious animal. I guess the standard of depravity is determined by whether or not something is endangered. The human population is booming, so let’s slay em’ without remorse.

The national conversation right now concerns what many liberals call a “battle against women,” because a company–Hobby Lobby–won a lawsuit that keeps them from having to provide certain drugs that can kill babies in the womb. I mean, people are really up in arms about this. Apparently it’s a “right” for an employer to provide employees with these drugs, drugs that can hunt down an innocent baby in his most innocent state and slaughter him to pieces.

The only thing missing is a way for abortionists to mount their trophies on their walls. Oh wait, isn’t that exactly what Kermit Gosnell did? And wasn’t this story quickly dissolved by the liberal media?

And thus, the philosophy of our age is to save the cheetahs, but slay the children. This, in my dictionary, is the definition of “depraved.”

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Tarheel July 3, 2014 at 2:28 pm

B-I-N-G-O!

Great insights and thoughts, Jared!

2 Bill Mac July 3, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Of course it is possible to be against abortion and still not crazy about sport and trophy hunting (from a long time hunter).

3 Tarheel July 3, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Yea, Bill Mac – that is true.

I do not hunt, but I am firm believer, for moral reasons, that if you do hunt either you or someone else ought to be eating the game…organizations like “hunters for the poor” is a good thing I think for that reason.

4 Bill Mac July 3, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Agreed. I am a dedicated carnivore and hunter, but I firmly believe you should eat what you kill, unless you are protecting your life or your property. I don’t kill things so I can display their body parts and I don’t “hunt” things in a cage. I also don’t kill things that someone else has tracked down just so I can shoot it.

Having said that, I don’t think it is depraved. I just don’t like it.

5 Tarheel July 3, 2014 at 2:54 pm
6 Jess July 3, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I think it would be mind blowing to most Pastors if they found out how many teenage girls in their church who have had abortions, yet they are members of that particular church. It would be mind blowing how many use drugs, and how many are sexually active.

I had a man come to my church to speak who was a Catholic. I had known him for years, he was a councilor and worked with teens most of his adult life. The Lord dealt with my heart to get him to speak about drugs to members of my congregation, the subject was only about drugs. When he had finished speaking, I felt I should give an invitation. Every teen in the church as well as some adults filled the alter, weeping and praying.

Abortion has to stop! I said this on one post and I’ll say it again, most of you don’t even know how abortion was made the law. In 1973 Roe vs. Wade, the Supreme court was made up of 6 Republican appointed judges and 3 Democrat appointed judges, and we even had a Republican president. The vote was seven to two in favor of abortion. Republicans are why we have abortion in this country. I cannot and will not forgive the Republican party for this. Every one since then has been following the law the Supreme court has handed down. I feel ripped to pieces where ever I go when I find out how many church members that believe in abortion.

Oh, but we are all sinners! Get real.

7 D. L. Payton July 3, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Abortion is the scourge of this nation. What kind of a mind is it that can rationalize that it is ever acceptable to slaughter an innocent baby. It is a SIN from the depths of hell and is a CRIME by any reasonable standard.

I am a patriotic nation loving American and i will proudly celebrate our nations birth tomorrow. But i am ashamed of what we do and allow in the abortion clinic.

8 Max July 3, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I was young and now am old. If you had told me as a child that I would live to see 55 million babies murdered legally in this country and alternative lifestyles demanding their “rights”, I would have said “No way, surely not in America!” When it comes to abortion and gay rights, Abraham Lincoln’s words regarding slavery rights also apply here “You don’t have the right to do wrong.”