Motions brought forward at the first Miscellaneous Business Session:
1) Tim Overton (surprise) made a motion to banish the NIV from Lifeway and other entity use. This has been something of an ongoing crusade for him. The motion will almost certainly be ruled out of order, since it is the LifeWay Trustees that are tasked with making this decision. He has been to those Trustees, and pursued other avenues.
2) Didn’t get the name, but a motion was made (really a resolution, but made in the form of a motion) for a more radical action on the Boy Scouts. Will likely be out of order to defer to the Resolutions Committee.
3) Wiley Drake (who made it to the mic 3x) offered a motion/resolution about supporting a prayer movement.
4) Jay Adkins made a motion asking that all Trustees of SBC entities be clearly listed on a tab at the main SBC site.
5) Wiley had another motion, but it did not get through. He was asked to wait until others had a chance.
6) Ronnie Floyd made a motion asking the SBC to take action to deal with and provide support for those struggling with mental illness. May be referred, but likely will receive action.
7) Steve Ball moved that the Lakeshore Baptist Church of Waco, Texas be removed from fellowship as an SBC church. Evidently they unapologetically support Planned Parenthood. If an SBC church supports Planned Parenthood, I fully support removing them from our midst.
8) Wiley Drake was back to the mic. He made a motion that in addition to observing Sunday as the Lord’s Day, Southern Baptists also observe Saturday, the 7th Day, as a Sabbath. Lots of quizzical looks on faces.
The Executive Committee report is going on now, and there has not been any issue raised.