What Maryland Baptists Would Say about Dr. Dennis Kim (by Joel Rainey)

by Guest Blogger on June 6, 2014 · 33 comments

Joel Rainey is the Director of Missions at Mid-Maryland Baptist Association, an adjunct professor at Capital Bible Seminary and blogs at Themelios (Twitter - @joelrainey).

These are exciting days for Maryland Baptists for many reasons, but next week marks one of those reasons as we welcome our larger Southern Baptist family to our state’s largest and most influential city.  We hope you enjoy Baltimore!

But several weeks ago, our excitement grew exponentially here in the “free state” when we learned that one of our own—Dr. Dennis Manpoong Kim—would be nominated for SBC President.  Many of the same things went through our minds that have probably went through yours—how great it would be to have an SBC President who actually lives in a region we seek to reach with the Gospel.  How great would it be to have an SBC President who is fluent not only in English, but also a dialect that represents a huge minority of immigrant peoples.  And how great would it be for our denomination—with its global aspirations—to be led by a truly global leader?

But for those of us who know Dennis Kim, what has gone through our minds the most is this: “How great is it that Dwight McKissic is nominating one whom we know to be a godly man of integrity—a man who has served his church and Maryland Baptists as well as we are confident he would serve Southern Baptist as a whole?”

If you have been keeping up with the press releases regarding Dr. Kim, you already know that he leads the largest SBC church in Maryland.  You already know that, though predominantly Korean, Global Mission Church is a model for multi-cultural and multi-ethnic ministry.  You already know that they have planted multiple churches, not only in our own region, but in other areas around our nation and the world.  And, you already know of Dr. Kim’s laser-focus on evangelism and disciplemaking that have made Global Mission Church the congregation it is today.  But since most of you don’t know him personally, I’d like to give you some insight from those of us who do.

For as long as I have known Brother Dennis, I’ve known he and his church to be people of intense, strategic, and intentional prayer.   You can learn much about prayer from listening to sermons on the topic, or by reading books on the topic, but I’ve never learned more about prayer than when I am with our Korean brothers and sisters at 5:30 AM—calling out to God and begging Him for spiritual revival and the continued extension of His Kingdom through our churches.  James chides us by saying “you have not because you ask not.”  As I observe Global Mission Church, and Dr. Kim’s leadership, I can’t help but think that the primary reason they have seen growth, maturity, and Kingdom multiplication is because they model for the rest of us how to ask for it daily.  We speak much about praying for revival in our denomination.  Our leaders call for it constantly.  Brother Dennis does it.

I also know Brother Dennis to be a consensus-builder and unifier.    I have a few pastors like this in my own Association, and I thank God for these men who love, not only their own church, but who love other pastors and other churches, and support them.  The last time Brother Dennis and I spoke face to face was about a month ago.  Korean Hope Church of Glenwood Maryland honored me by asking me to speak at their Constituting service as a new church.  When I got up to speak, I noticed Dr. Kim sitting in the front row to my right.  I would learn later that his busy schedule made his ability to speak at this event uncertain, but when he realized he could make it, he simply came to show his support. Here was the pastor of the largest church in Maryland sitting in a service where he would not speak, simply because he cared for this new church, and wanted to join the strong support that our Korean brothers and sisters always give to new churches when they launch.  That afternoon, he stayed to join the rest of us for fantastic Korean food, and a beautiful outdoor event celebrating this new church.  As always, he was “just one of the guys,” a pastor’s pastor if ever anyone could be given that title. This is the kind of humble, unassuming man I’ve always known Brother Dennis to be.  In Asian cultural contexts, it is not considered rude or inappropriate for someone of his stature to presume a certain position or recognition, but I have always observed Brother Dennis to have the heart of a servant-leader.  There is a unique unity among Baptists in Maryland, and much of that unity and focus on mission can be attributed to men like Dr. Kim.

But when you take the prayerful humility I’ve described and you wrap it in a globally-aware, bilingual, strategic thinker like Dr. Kim, the result is a man poised to lead our denomination—still a largely regional group of churches—into its future as a truly global Convention.  No one understands the world nearly as well as one who has lived on both sides of it, and we have in Dr. Kim a man eminently qualified to help us engage all of that world.

I am thankful to be part of a Convention that is able to present three good and godly people as Presidential nominees, and each will have his unique strengths described for our consideration during the nomination process.  But if I am asked who I think is best suited to lead us toward becoming the globally effective people we aspire to be, I have no doubt that the life experience, ministry expertise, and Christ-centered passion of Dennis Manpoong Kim make him the best choice.  I will be honored on Tuesday morning to cast my vote for a man whose leadership I have followed in Maryland for years, and whose leadership I would gladly submit to should our Convention feel the same way.

{ 33 comments… read them below or add one }

1 William Thornton June 6, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Wish I were coming. He would have my vote.

Who knows what is ahead for the SBC but a leader whose church is a model of multicultural ministry outside the traditional, dominant Southern states would be a positive trend in my view.

2 Doug Hibbard June 6, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Ditto. I have even dropped my plan to poke fun at the process by nominating RevNoRespect on Twitter just to see if he got more retweets than the winner got votes. I think that this is a good opportunity to open our ears and eyes to someone who has walked with Jesus outside of the normal Bible Belt. If he is all that folks say he is, then I think he’s the better among goods this year for SBC President.

3 Tarheel June 6, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Wow, Joel. Thanks for writing this.

(I really enjoy reading your articles, BTW)

4 volfan007 June 6, 2014 at 3:18 pm

My plan is to vote for Dr. Kim. Also, I really look forward to eating fresh seafood in Maryland.

5 Tarheel June 6, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Me too, on both counts – Volfan.

While I think RF and JM are both good men and would also do well in the office, Dr. Kim brings unique experiences and perspectives to the table that make him the candidate for whom I wish to vote.

6 Joe Blackmon June 6, 2014 at 4:47 pm

I appreciate Dr. Kim’s commitment to church planting.

7 Chris Roberts June 6, 2014 at 5:09 pm

It’s going to be a shock when you “out” yourself and everyone learns that you are Dennis Kim.

8 Tarheel June 6, 2014 at 5:56 pm

LOL.

9 Adam G. in NC June 6, 2014 at 11:00 pm

I’m guessing Caner or Lumpkins.

10 Dave Miller June 6, 2014 at 11:20 pm

You’ve probably been wrong before, Adam. You are wrong this time.

11 Mark Lamprecht June 7, 2014 at 12:00 am

Tarheel, can I tell ‘em?

12 Chris Roberts June 7, 2014 at 12:18 am

Mark,

No, wait until after the convention.

13 Chris Roberts June 7, 2014 at 12:19 am

Drat! I posted that from the wrong browser! Someone delete these comments!

14 Tarheel June 7, 2014 at 5:20 am

Mark,

Maybe I’ll sue everyone for slander anyone who guesses wrong.

Starting with Adam G.

;-)

15 Mark Lamprecht June 7, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Tarheel, people are going to be surprised when they find out your name is…

…Dave Miller.

16 Tarheel June 7, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Keep saying stuff like that Mark and Dave Miller might see YOU for slander!

17 Tarheel June 7, 2014 at 9:29 pm

*sue

18 Greg Harvey June 6, 2014 at 5:07 pm

One of the positive emerging themes is that each of the men that has already been “introduced” have strong theological commitments to the BF&M and interesting personal narratives that demonstrate their distinctions. But all three seem to have specific qualifications that are very interesting and none seem to have disqualifies per se. Of the three, Jared’s youth (compared to the other two especially) is the most likely to stand in the way of a huge vote, but that is NOT a disqualified. It’s part of his resume and in my opinion part of his appeal.

But I’m very excited about how Dr. Kim adds to the Southern Baptist experience at the national convention level should he become–either this year or in a future year–elected as president of the convention. I do not plan to be at the convention, either, so I simply commit to pray for the messengers as they seek God’s leadership. And I similarly commit to pray for the Convention and for God’s FULL blessing regardless of whom is elected.

19 Greg Harvey June 6, 2014 at 5:09 pm

“disqualifies” and “disqualified” both got rearranged from a single word “disqualifier”. I’m frustrated for not carefully catching that as I was typing and hope it doesn’t distract from the point I was trying to make: each of the candidates seem to me to bring their own “uniques” and it will require consideration to act carefully in casting a vote.

20 Greg Harvey June 7, 2014 at 7:18 pm

P.S. I argued with God on who would be the best choice. I want to stipulate that:

1. I thought all my ideas were pretty good.
2. I thought prayer meant I should give him my best ideas.
3. He told me: thanks for the input, now let me do my job.

You’re welcome.

21 D. L. Payton June 6, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Tho the crowd may not be large this could be one of the most meaningful conventions in our history.

Wish I could be there!!

I will watch live stream if possible so be sure to wave at me. I will be the guy in the easy chair drinking coffee (or sweet tea in honor of Tarheel and his historic revelation)

22 Doug Hibbard June 6, 2014 at 5:55 pm

DL, I’ll be sipping coffee and watching as well. Here’s hoping none of these fellows embarrasses the proud tradition of blog commenters while we watch!

Oh, wait…

23 D. L. Payton June 6, 2014 at 6:38 pm

LOL

24 D. L. Payton June 6, 2014 at 7:10 pm

This has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but I want to say it anyway.

70 years ago today my Dad was in the first wave storming Omaha Beach. He has now gone to be with the Lord. I am very proud of him.

25 Doug Hibbard June 6, 2014 at 7:39 pm

It’d be short, but that’s worthy of its own post.

26 D. L. Payton June 6, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Those WW 2 vets are true heroes by any definition.

27 Wm. Dwight McKissic, Sr. June 6, 2014 at 7:20 pm

D. L.,

God bless the memory of your dad. For those of us that have enjoyed, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in America, we owe your father, and thousands of others a great debt of gratitude.

Thanks for acknowledging and appreciating and celebrating your father here. As we are nearing Father’s Day, I too share fond and precious memories of my father, and I am also very proud and thankful as I reflect on him, that was triggered by your expression of pride and gratitude for your dad.

28 D. L. Payton June 6, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Dr. Dwight

Thank you for sharing in my pride appreciation. You are absolutely correct, those of us who live in America owe so much to this “Greatest Generation” I just heard on the news that we are losing 500 of these heroes a day if I understood correctly. They will soon be gone.

Dr. Dwight, it is great to have dad that you love and admire and who taught you so much, isn’t it.

29 Wm. Dwight McKissic, Sr. June 6, 2014 at 8:25 pm

D. L.,

Doug Hibbard helped to connect me with a part of my dad’s legacy and for that I will always be grateful. Doug pastorate is in Almyra, Ar. My dad pastored there before I was born, and certainly before Doug was born. I’d often heard my dad refer to his time in Almyra, but I’d never been there. I got acquainted with Doug with his meaningful interaction here at Voices. Once I discovered that he was from Almyra, I asked him about connecting me to the little church there once pastored by my father. He not only connected me with the facility and the grounds where my Daddy walked, worshiped, and ministered; but had his lovely wife to provide my bride and I with a wonderful meal. Reading the interaction between you and Doug here reminded me of how God used Doug to connect me with the legacy and memory of my father, and I simply wanted to share it.

30 D. L. Payton June 6, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Dr. Dwight
I count it an honor that you shared with me your testimony concerning you father.

My Dad was a deacon and a humble man who dearly loved his Lord and taught me the same. I passed this to my son/pastor and it seems that my grandson will one day preach our Lord’s gospel. I am ever reminded of “train up a child……..”

I can only imagine the joy you must have felt as you encountered this part of your father’s ministry and legacy.

31 Mark Lamprecht June 7, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Tarheel, I suppose there is no prohibition to consider not suing folks here since they are not members of your local church.

32 Tarheel June 8, 2014 at 12:23 am

So, its all good to sue other Christians so long as they don’t attend our local church?

33 Dave Miller June 8, 2014 at 9:31 am