My disdain for conspiracy theories is pretty well public here on SBC Voices. Most conspiracies are absurd and assume a big, bad boogeyman running things in a way that usually doesn’t exist in reality. But there is a little voice in the back of my head that wonders about this election – is it possible that the mainstream media is working to ensure that Hillary Clinton makes it into the Oval Office? I have some reservations about that premise, three primary ones:
- Hillary has had a somewhat prickly relationship with the press. Would they really engage in a grand scheme to win an election for someone who treats them like the enemy as she often does?
- Are they really that smart? That organized? That disciplined? My view of the mainstream press is pretty low and I have trouble believing they could pull it off.
- Is there some William Randolph Hearst-type figure pulling strings behind the scenes? We like to demonize George Soros or the Koch brothers (on the GOP side) or others, but are they really able to work the strings and control CNN, MSNBC, and the major networks like dancing marionettes? It seems ludicrous.
May I be completely serious (and biblical) for a moment? The scripture provides the best answer for conspiracy theories. “Why do the nations rage?” the Psalmist asks. He goes on to say how God laughs at them. People plot and plan and scheme, but God remains sovereign. He lifts up one and sets down another. People attempt conspiracies. God accomplishes his purposes. So, as we explore conspiracy theories, we should never forget that.
On the other hand, there are some nagging realities that seem to make this theory seem like more than the rantings of a late-night AM radio DJ. I have friends who are convinced the fix is in, that the media are playing us all like a banjo (can’t think of any more cheesy cliches so I’ll move on). Could they be right? Here are some items for consideration.
- The mainstream media, with the exception of FOX and the alt-right sites, are clearly all-in on the Democratic side. There can be little debate on that. Watch them interview Hillary. “What makes you such a brilliant, accomplished woman?” Then watch the same person skewer Trump. Now, you know me. I don’t have a problem with anyone skewering Trump. Fire away. But Hillary should be asked to answer for her crimes, malfeasance, misdeeds, and flip-flops as well. They almost never do. Hillary will win the vote at the major media sites, not counting FOX, by something approaching 99%. So, they are certainly sympathetic if not conspiratorial.
- Hillary is a horrible candidate – people don’t like her, except for her passionate devotees. They knew that she would have lost to any of perhaps 6 to 10 of the Republican candidates, and probably by a wide margin to three or four of them. Something had to be done. Hillary could not lose again.
- So, the media declared Donald Trump the winner of the Republican primaries long before he had won even half of the delegates he needed to actually guarantee his nomination. It wasn’t just sycophants like Sean Hannity who gave up any journalistic credibility to fawn over Trump. CNN, MSNBC – they went all in on the Trump candidacy. Why? Is it possible that they knew that he was unelectable? Trump has enough skeletons in his closet to stock Walmarts across the country for Halloween. They knew it. Could it be that they were setting him up so that they could knock him down?
- Does anyone believe that the press just happened to discover these recordings of the Donald’s vile and disgusting words about that woman recently? The press and October surprises have a long history.
- Did anyone happen to notice that Wikileaks was promising a bombshell revelation that would ruin Hillary’s candidacy, and suddenly this recording was “discovered” by the Washington Post? Coincidence?
- Does anyone wonder if maybe they have a few more of these kinds of things in the secret vaults of their Illuminati headquarters just waiting for another uptick in the polls for Trump. Trump gains two points? BOOM! Another recording released. Some bad news for Mrs. Clinton? BIFF! Another one is made public. The race tightens in a battleground state? ZOWIE! Another revelation sees the light of day.
Have I become paranoid? Maybe.
In the long run, I kind of doubt a real conspiracy, but I suspect something a little less formal. They love Hillary. They hate Republicans. Some of the better candidates scared them on the GOP side, so they worked to pump up the one guy guaranteed to lose. They helped to inflate him till he got the nomination and they held back anything damaging until afterward – keeping their powder dry.
Anyone have a tinfoil hat I can borrow? I’m hearing messages in my head!
I know you guys might want to watch and discuss the debate tonight – here’s your open forum. I’m going to do something productive. Not sure what. I may watch reruns of Andy Griffith. Let me know if anyone sees a mockingjay fly by the screen at any time.
I’ve got a post coming this week on the moon landing, the assassination of Kennedy, and the Calvinist takeover.