The Executive Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention met in Nashville today for a special called meeting to elect a search committee to find the next President and CEO of the SBC Executive Committee. This meeting was necessitated by the sudden resignation of Dr. Frank Page last month.
The floor was opened for nominations, and according to SBC This Week, 18 members of the Executive Committee were nominated for the search committee. A ballot vote was held, and the following six were elected:
- Steven Swofford, Pastor of First Baptist Church in Rockwall, TX
- Joe Knott, Lawyer in Raleigh, NC
- Rolland Slade, Pastor of Meridian Southern Baptist Church in El Cajon, CA
- Stephen Rummage, Pastor of Bell Shoals Baptist Church in Brandon, FL
- Carol Yarber, Retired Office Manager in Athens, TX
- Adron Robinson, Pastor of Hillcrest Baptist Church in Oak Forest, IL
Stephen Rummage is the current EC Chair. A new EC Chair will be elected in June, and that person will join the search committee at that time. Rummage was elected to the search committee, so he will remain on the search committee even after his term as EC Chair expires.
The search committee will elect a chair from among its members.
Let’s be in prayer for these men and woman as they serve Southern Baptists in this very important role.
Thanks to SBC This Week for keeping us updated on the day’s proceedings via Twitter.