Gave a very affirming report, hopeful that the EC would deal well with the issue of sexual abuse. Encouraged unity and assuming the best of one another.
- How we respond to this crisis will shape the perception of Southern Baptists for years or generations to come.
- Baptist pastors are horrified to learn what had happened and want to be led.
- The cost and difficulty of dealing with this will be great. The cost and difficulty of not dealing with sexual abuse will be even greater. We must move forward.
- Some have said this is a distraction and that we should get back to our mission. This is not a distraction; this IS our mission. We serve a Savior who laid down his life for the vulnerable and the oppressed. We must serve them as Christ did.
- One in 10 young professionals indicated their reason for leaving an SBC church was related to the failure of Southern Baptists to deal well with this issue. (I wasn’t sure of the exact citation here – it came from LifeWay)
Now they are taking up business, and giving a resolution of appreciation to Augie Boto.
Admin team report coming up.