One of the things we’ve learned recently is that we need to learn a lot more on the subjects of sexual abuse and prevention. Below I’ve tried to compile a starter list of resources I’ve found helpful and insightful. Please add resources in the comments you’re aware of that will help pastor and churches grow in their understanding of sexual abuse prevention and response.
Based on recent discussions, for my Southern Baptist friends, I would especially recommend focusing on understanding the grooming process, and also the understanding the ways abuse victims often react and the struggles they face as survivors.
From Christianity Today
Sexual Abuse Issues in the Church; Raising the Bar by Gregory Love & Kimberlee Norris
From our ERLC
6 ways pastors can care for victims of sexual abuse by Trillia Newbell
How to get help if you are a victim of sexual abuse by Brad Hambrick and J.D. Greear
How I found healing after abuse by Jennifer Michelle Greenberg
From GRACE – Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment (netgrace.org)
Recommended Books – netgrace.org/books
Recommended Resources – netgrace.org/resources
Common Questions – netgrace.org/common-questions
- How do children disclose abuse?
- If children seldom intentionally disclose child sexual abuse, how does the victimization come to light?
- What about false allegations of child abuse?
- What can I do to increase the chance that any victims in my church or institution will disclose abuse?
- How can I prevent sexual predators from accessing children in my church?
- What sort of therapy should I refer victims and/or perpetrators to?
- Where can I learn more?
CRCNA Responding to Abuse Toolkit
- Gaining trust
- Filling a need
- Isolation and dependence
- Sexualizing the relationship
- Maintaining control