For your consideration…
Think about all of the discussions of Calvinism you have been involved in (or observed) at this site and at others. There have been a LOT of them. I’ve written my share and most of our contributors have weighed in at one point or another. So, I would ask you to consider these questions:
- Have you learned anything significant from the discussion threads for those posts?
- Have you changed your position in any way because of the discussions (or known of someone else who changed theirs)?
- Have you been built up and encouraged by your involvement in these discussions?
- Have the discussions advanced understanding, unity or knowledge in any way?
- In other words, have our discussions of Calvinism served ANY purpose of eternal significance?
If not, why keep going?
There is a group of commenters who have almost nothing to say concerning posts of any biblical topic, any discussion of practical ministry concern, any news or current event topic. They show no interest. But when Calvinism is the subject, they swarm and sink their teeth in and keep going no matter how pointless the discussion. There are some pitbull Calvinists and some pitbull Traditionalists who show little interest in anything other than fighting (I’m sorry, “debating”) over soteriology.
I think those soteriological pitbulls are a blight on the discussion threads here.
And I have a suggestion. Tell me what you think.
I’m toying with the idea of closing comments on all posts that have to do with Calvinism. If someone wants to write about an issue related to Calvinism (pro/con/whatever), they are free to do so. But we will close comments immediately. No discussions. Informative posts that people can read, but no divisive, angry, insulting discussions of Calvinism.
As you can see, I have a very bitter, negative attitude toward Calvinism discussions. I think the topic is worthwhile – there are issues that need to be examined. But as long as the Pitbull Brigade comes out of the woodwork to turn every discussion of Calvinism into a dogfight, I am not sure there is any value in having discussions on the topic at all.
So, tell me what you think.
- I would allow posts that develop an interesting thought about Calvinism – pro or con. Perhaps we could even have more of them.
- But there would be NO discussions. No comments. Read the post. Engage in twitter wars. But comments are closed.
What say you?