A Bluster of Bloggers (Well, Perhaps Two?)

After talking to a few folks, the best time to get together for a “Bluster of Bloggers” seems to be between the afternoon and evening sessions of the Pastors’ Conference. We will meet at the Cheesecake Factory for supper (or just cheesecake if you want it).

The Cheesecake Factory is about a 5 or 10 minute walk from the convention center, which is on Pratt. Take a right coming out of the convention center and walk down Pratt till you see the big ship (USS Constellation) and walk toward the harbor. Keep on going down past the ship, past the dragon boats (you will see them) until you reach the Cheesecake Factory.

Let me know if you are coming and I will make sure I reserve enough spots at the table. If you just show up, we will try to squeeze you in, of course, but the Baptist Bloggers I know aren’t all young and thin like me. Hope to see a lot of you.

Of course, that leaves the end of the meeting. Some of you might be meeting with those 9 guys named Mark or some other group, but if you are looking for some fellowship, a portal to heaven exists a few blocks up from the convention center – a combination Baskin Robbins and Duncan Donuts. Its on Howard Street, the road that intersects with Pratt on the other side of the convention center from the Harbor. The Baskin Robbins/Duncan Donuts is two blocks up from Pratt on Howard. After the evening session, anyone who needs an infusion of some high quality, nutritious food can join us up there.

Comments

I understand that the Pope is supposed to be infallible but if anyone finds the USS Constitution in Baltimore Harbor please give the people in Boston a call so they can retrieve it. The USS Constellation is the one moored in Baltimore. A mistake many may have made but one would hope for more in a Pope. I would expect it from a Methodist Pope but not a SBC one. Guess it is true what they say about Iowans thinking all ships look the same.

Please do follow El Papa Miller’s edict and make sure you tip 15% or more when dining. As a waiter years back I got more than one tract in lieu of a tip and it was a mighty poor attempt at spreading the gospel.

• Chris Roberts says

I heard the post was typed by a scribe, it was not the original from Miller himself, so the mistake can be chalked up to a scribal error. Miller’s inerrancy thus remains intact.

2. Adam Blosser says

I will be there for Cheesecake Factory meeting. I will also have my wife and son with me.

3. Dean Stewart says

Dave, I will be at the meal at the Cheesecake Factory. I am attending the convention alone. Please reserve one spot.
    Dean

4. Joel says

Has the big unveiling taken place yet? I’m ready for all the plodding on the matter to be over… :P

5. Dave Miller says

So far, no one has expressed an interest in Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts, but that may still happen.

We have a decent group for Supper (after the afternoon session Monday – somewhere around 5 PM).

I am registered through the SBC app and I think you can see my phone there. Feel free to call me if you need to. If you can’t find it, let me know I’ll email it to you.

6. Volfan007 says

Reserve two spots for me and one for my wife…..ta ta ta dump bing! Really, just two places….exactly what time? My wife and I are taking that Annie Armstrong tour and won’t be back til 5.

7. Dwight McKissic says

Anybody got an approximate time on this bloggers dinner? I am trying to get an earlier flight. I don’t think that I am scheduled to arrive there before 6 or 7 tomorrow evening though.

8. Dwight McKissic says

Dave,

Reserve me a seat at Cheesecake Factory please. Just boarded plane in Dallas. Scheduled to arrive at 4 there. I will do my best to get there as close to 5 as possible. Thanks.

9. Dwight McKissic says

Plane was delayed. Finally getting ready to take off. Will not arrive ’till 5:10. Will try & come straight there. Probably can’t get there before 6.

10. Roger Simpson says

Any truth to the rumor that Tarheel showed up and revealed his true identity?

The anonymous Tarheel has revealed himself as Dave Cline.
        Who is Dave Cline?
        I Googled him, and here is some of the results…

From Wikipedia: David Cline (January 8, 1947 – September 14, 2007) was an American anti-war and veterans rights activist. He was best known as National President of Veterans For Peace (VFP) from 2000 to 2006, Chapter Vice President of Alan Reilly – Gene Glazer VFP Chapter 21, and co-founder of the Vietnam Agent Orange Relief and Responsibility Campaign.[1] Cline was featured in the 2006 film Sir! No Sir!, which documented the GI antiwar movement during the Vietnam war as well as in the book “Winter Soldiers: An Oral History of Vietnam Veterans Against the War” by Richard Stacewicz.[2]

From LinkedIn:
        Dave Cline is all these things:
        Project Manager at General Dynamics IT
        Analog design engineer at Silicon Image
        Lowly Trading Systems Architect
        VP Business Process Improvement at Ecova
        EVP/Chief Information Officer at State Bank and Trust Company
        Associate at Booz Allen Hamilton
        A T & T CORE Project Manager South East Region
        Technology Specialist [Team Lead]
        IT Director, Shoemaker manufacturing
        SR. Tax Ananlyst at TETRA Technologies

and thats just the first page of at least 11 more or 229 entries!

At UCLA Physics and Astronomy, David Cline is the Professor
        High Energy & Astrophysics Experiment

He is a country music performer: WELCOME TO DAVID CLINE COUNTRY AND CLINE’S CORNER
        In 1995 when I wrote my first song as tribute to my Mom titled
         “ Heart And Soul “ that’s what started my songwriting and singing
        career .

And that is only about halfway down Google’s first page!

Just who is David Cline?

• Chris Roberts says

So what you’re saying is we don’t know any more than we did before. Security by obscurity!

• Rick Patrick says

He might as well be John Smith. Did he show any ID? How do we *know* he really is Dave Cline? This proves nothing. :-)

• Tarheel says

I like this one, parson –

At UCLA Physics and Astronomy, David Cline is the Professor
          High Energy & Astrophysics Experiment

• Tarheel says

As I explained tonight there was nothing secretive or “hiding” in my use of a pseudonym …. It was merely a name I’d used before in another forum setting and so I used it here…

Then people started (what I viewed as) harassing me about posting under a pseudonym and I stubbornly resisted “giving in” ….. Then it hit me that my stubbornness was silly behavior…so I announced here on voices that I’d reveal my identity at an opportunity for face to face interaction at the SBC.

I’m not ashamed of who I am or what I believe – although I am ashamed of how I present myself sometimes and with that I must do better. ;-)

It was nice meeting everyone – I especially enjoyed meeting Dean and Dwight.

I hate that I missed meeting CB….and sorry to hear about his wife’s illness.

Didn’t get to meet Rick was in the restaurant but we never saw him.

Worley still owes me a cherry coke. ;-

More later….

Mark is talking. ;-)

11. Dave Miller says

Hey guys, it’s now 8:20 and we are still at supper. No way I’m gonna make it to Baskin Robbins.

12. Dave Miller says

This was one of the most enjoyable dinners I’ve had. 15 or more of us gathered and we chatted for 3.5 hours.

I wondered if anyone would show! Really had a great time.

13. Dean Stewart says

Dave and all, I had a great time. Thank you all for letting me join you. It was a good time and the conversation was easy and uplifting. Everyone was very gracious.
    Dean

14. Dean Stewart says

Willy Rice, pastor of Pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Clearwater, Fl has been elected as president of Pastor’s conference 2015.

15. Roger Simpson says

As several have noted Dave Cline operates in a manifold of modalities.

But narrowing the search down to pastors still leaves us with several options — to wit:

1. David Cline — Pastor Hopewell Church — Greenville SC

2. Dave Cline — Executive Pastor — FBC Taylors South Carolina [former church of the chairmen of the exec committee]

3. David Cline — Assoc Pastor of Student Ministries — Grace Baptist Church — Virgilina VA.

We will find out who Tarheel is using successive approximation.

• Dale Pugh says

Maybe we should use a series of “20 Questions” in order to find out who you REALLY are, Tarheel. Your true identity remains an enigma to us, I see. The mask is off, but the mystery remains……….

• Tarheel says

Yeah Brent that was by design…but Dean stepped on my turf – he wore a Carolina blue shirt too….

I doubt anyone would confuse us though, but just in case…he’s the smart one.

Joel, Todd, Dwight, Dean, David W., David M. (Both brought thier wives), Mike, Brent, Adam (and wife and Child) ….

Oh yea, Thomas and his son caught us as we were leaving (he was about 4 hours late) …. Nothing like being fashionably late. ;-)

• Tarheel says

Well 2 of the three pastoral options were in SC. I stated I’ve never lived in South Carolina.

It should be pretty easy now…even for a duck. ;-)