A Powerful Resource for Baptist Bloggers

You’ve probably seen this before, but after a few of our more recent discussions, I thought it might be time to bring back the encouraging words of Martin Luther himself, as a model of Christian civility.

The gentle words of Luther will bless us all.

Comments

1. Dave Miller says

To fans of the SEC,

“The reward of such flattery is what your crass stupidity deserves. Therefore, we shall turn from you, a sevenfold stupid and blasphemous wise person.”

From Against Latomus, pg. 145 of Luther’s Works, Vol. 32

2. Tarheel says

This one is kinda funny!

“I can with good conscience consider you a fart-ass and an enemy of God.”

From Against the Roman Papacy, an Institution of the Devil, pg. 344 of Luther’s Works, Vol. 41

3. Tarheel says

You are a person of sin and the child of perdition, leading all the world with you to the devil, using your lying and deceitful ways.

From Defense and Explanation of All the Articles, pg. 63 of Luther’s Works, Vol. 32

4. John Wylie says

Dave,

Would you please delete my comments from last night. I was out of line and I apologized to the folks I offended.

• Dave Miller says

John, deleting comments from a stream is somewhat time consuming (especially when there are a lot of comments) and I’m not sure when that will have time to do that.

But you have made your regret clear and I appreciate that.

5. Chief Katie says

Luther is a hoot. My husband and I read Luther’s assessment of his coming death. We laughed for a very long time. But… I dare not post it here. His use of simile is quite gross, something about him getting ready to leave this world.

Some of you probably know it, but I’m thinking Dave would ban me for life if I dared to post it here. Or maybe not, but in either case it seems to be a bit too colorful.

• Dave Miller says

Never, Katie, never! (Would I ban you for life)

But you probably exercised wisdom in not posting it.

6. dr. james willingham says

When I saw the subject and before I hit the link, I chortled. Why? Cause I have read Luther hitherto and understatement was not one of his virtues. Overstatement? Now that is clearly another issue. Actually, I meant an offensive, in your face, grind you into the dust, hateful, despicable, trash you kind of statements. Luther was a past master at such things. Interestingly enough, for you folks who might not have done any reading in the big battle in the Missouri Synod between the Conservatives and the Liberals back in the seventies (hard for Southern Baptist to admit it, but that was a denomination who dealt with the issue of inspiration before we did), and they played hard ball, imitating their mentor and hero and founder, Luther. I mean they used abusive language to a faretheewell. A friend gave me some copies of one of their more rancorous papers. All I can say about them is, “Wow!” The Missouri Synod Lutherans make Southern Baptists and their contretemps look like a mild upset at a ladies tea party. If I could find those copies, I would give you some samples. And by the way, the Missouri Synod folks, like Luther, go for education. In fact, as far as I know, the most educated minister going, is Dr. John Warwick Montgomery (how a Scotchman (?) wound up with a German outfit is a wonder) who at the last count had 11 degrees. Read it and weep, 11 degrees. And his writings on the inspiration of the Bible are worth their weight in gold. He is nothing, if not exhaustive. Even the professor who got mad at me said nothing about Montgomery. By the way, he spoke at SEBTS in Jan. 2012, but I learned too late about his being on the schedule. It was enough to make a strong man weep. And, being Lutheran, he is not a Calvinist, so that folks might known that I do peruse all kinds of scholars and appreciate them. I even have a number of John Wesley’s works, and, like Spurgeon, find he uses some terms for God making people do what he wants that I would not use myself.

7. Greg Harvey says

If we required a Lutherian insult with every comment directed either at the OP or the previous commenter, we’d go over 500 comments on every post!!

• dr. james willingham says

500 nothing. More like 5000 as each one would require a return of appropriate insulting length.

• Dale Pugh says

I’ve only seen a couple go over 300 in the last couple of years. They usually “downgrade” (sorry for the use of that term) after 100 comments.

Btw, Tar heel, let me just say, off topic, that I really enjoy your comments on SBC Voices. Particularly your comments in response to Dwight and his posts. I read them and I’m doing fist bumps at the computer screen. Lol

• Tarheel says

Joe,

Thanks for the kind words about enjoying/appreciating my posts.

As for Dwight…well to state the obvious he and I disagree quite regularly and often strongly so… I suspect we will continue to do so. However, as I have stated I am not proud of all of my interactions with him. I wish I could restate a lot of what I have said in his direction. Not change its meaning, but restate it in a more Christ-like way.

I just wish he (and others) would realize that until he comes around to my way of thinking he will always be wrong. ;-)

Tarheel & Joe B.,

All is well. I’m happy to see Joe Blackmon interacting here. Where’s Frank L., Joe? I miss the two of you, but you are right: Tarheel is filling in for the two of you.

Tarheel is generally sincere, but sincerely wrong, as were you and Frank L. Dave M. said once something to the effect that blogging attracts the most strident voices among us. That is probably oh-so true. Therefore , the strident voices among us–and we represent three of the most strident–will often disagree, in sometimes less than a civil and Christian manner. I have been guilty, and so have most of us who comment here often, I am determined to va a disciple of Christ. Jesus said, all men will know that you are my disciples by your love. I’ve not met either of you. But I am determined to love you. For sure, we all love Jesus, and His Word, therefore, we must love one another. I am even beginning to like Tarheel, because he, unlike me, and most, is willing to publically repent and acknowledge it when he is wrong. Who can’t help but admire and appreciate that. See you in Baltimore, Tarheel. Till then, know that I love you with the love of The Lord.

• Tarheel says

Thanks Dwight…

In Baltimore we shall meet. Like I told ya before – you do not need a bodyguard unless you resist a firm handshake and a brotherly hug. I am a bit of a hugger actually. LOL

(also you mentioned Volfan being your body guard – I do not think that will work. He is too easily distracted. For example, I could get someone to yell “OH MY! They are selling beer at the concession stand.” Off he’ll go with his sword in hand to slay all the drunkards…leaving you wide open. ;-) )

• volfan007 says

I only pull my sword out for the liberals/false teachers. Drunkards are safe….as far as me doing anything to them….lol.

• Dave Miller says

My experience has been that when a post remains up long, the conversation degenerates. When I took over as editor, I decided to try to post more often and I shut down comments more quickly, so that discussion does not have the opportunity to devolve.

As Barney used to say, “Nip it in the bud.”

That comment stream that went to 1360 comments was exhibit A in why I don’t let comments go on and on anymore.

• Greg Harvey says

OH MAN…I thought it was our GOAL to make it to 1,000 on every comment thread…

• Dave Miller says

If you will notice, I seldom let them go over 200 anymore. Not much good happens after the 100th comment.

• dr. james willingham says

But David: You put up this one which was sure to degenerate. I mean after all talk about a subject being foreordained to disaster.

8. Dale Pugh says

“You are in all you do the very opposite of Christ as befits a true Antichrist.”

From Defense and Explanation of All the Articles, pg. 61 of Luther’s Works, Vol. 32

Might have to use this one. Hmmmm……….

• Tarheel says

Perhaps you want me to die of unrelieved boredom while you keep on talking.

From The Bondage of the Will, pg. 244 of Luther’s Works, Vol. 33

9. Tarheel says

Wow.

You think like this, “As I am a crude ass, and do not read the books, so there is no one in the world who reads them; rather, when I let my braying heehaw, heehaw resound, or even let out a donkey’s fart, then everyone will have to consider it pure truth.”

From Against the Roman Papacy, an Institution of the Devil, pg. 300 of Luther’s Works, Vol. 41

10. Tarheel says

RevNoRespect tweeted;

I formally ask @NAMB_SBC to give SBC anon accounts some space at their table during the SBC. We need representation.

Amen. ;-)