Reflections on 2013; Focusing on 2014

by Dave Miller on December 31, 2013 · 9 comments

I’m at a family reunion with my wife’s family after enjoying some time with my side the last few days. We leave tomorrow for home (a depressing thought – not sure if you are aware but Florida has nicer weather these days than Iowa). So I’m not going to be around much the next couple of days.

But I thought a discussion post  might be fun. What are your blessings and memories from 2013?  (Don’t preacher-brag! That is annoying.) What are your goals, hopes and dreams for 2014?

Talk to Uncle Davey.

1 Dave Miller December 31, 2013 at 8:28 pm

How did 2013 go?

What do you hope will happen in 2014?

A new year brings a new hope.

2 cb scott December 31, 2013 at 8:48 pm

In all seriousness (rare I know), I make the following comment with thankgiving to the Lord to have let me live to see and hear it.

I watched and heard a little girl named Carrie (my adopted daughter) who suffers from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome read, with near perfect clarity, Luke 2: 1-7 during a church Christmas play.

As Nehemiah of old stated, “. . . the Lord is great and awesome. . .”

3 Nate December 31, 2013 at 8:51 pm

CB, this blog needs a “like” button…

4 Dave Miller December 31, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I often instinctively look for the like button when I see a good comment. Not sure if such a thing is available, but it would be great.

5 Dave Miller December 31, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Great start to this post, young man.

And no mention of football, too!

6 Dave Miller December 31, 2013 at 9:28 pm

When I look back on 2013, I see some real downers, but several great blessings.

1) I was blessed with a trip to Israel in October and that was one of the greatest things that ever happened to me.

2) I had a great time at the convention in Houston.

3) The family reunion I just attended in Palm Coast, Florida, was great.

There were some hard times as well, but those are not as fresh in my mind now.

7 Bill Mac January 1, 2014 at 12:14 am

2013: First grandchild! Successful Ph.D. defense (10 years in the making)
2014: 30th anniversary. Son getting married. Finishing required thesis revisions. Trip to Asia in March and Southeast Asia in May with students. The best garden ever. Strategically planting apple trees between my house and my mother in law’s.

8 Adam G. in NC January 1, 2014 at 12:21 am

My first kid…Liberty Rae G. in NC

9 Jean Heckart January 1, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Our family has grown by one. Even though a young mother lost her life, her 5 year old daughter has been welcomed into our family and we love her so much. I am so blessed with family and my resolution this year is to try to visit each family member scattered around the nation.