Second Round: 2008 SBC Blog Madness at SBC Voices

by Tony K on March 30, 2008 · 17 comments

The Final Four has begun

After 770+ votes and nearly 50 comments, it’s time to advance the final 16 Southern Baptist blogs to the second round of Blog Madness. The first round focused on the relative influence of these bloggers. For this session I want you to consider the helpfulness of each blog, especially when they write about SBC related issues. Or suppose that Baptist was going to carry one blog post a month from from four blogs, which blogger would you suggest?

Update: New prized addedread more here.

Despite all my hard work, I was only able to manufacture a small measure of “controversy” over the first round. Some points I should clarify. First, my mistakes in selection and seeding were generously overruled by the voters. I attempted to be fair, but alas one man/woman’s yard sale is another man/woman’s treasure hunt. Second, I am very grateful for the suggestions, corrections, and thorns I’ve received via email and comments. Please keep them coming (TonyKummer@gmail.com). Third, I’ve added a prize just to stir up some hearty competition. <Insert your conspiracy theory here >

Here’s how this round will work:

• I’ve resorted the blog rankings in each division according to the votes received in round one.
  • You can vote for one blog in each division
  • On Thursday, the top blog in each bracket will advance
  • The Final Four will begin Thursday (4/3/08) night and end the following Monday evening
  • The poll is set to limit votes from the same IP address. This will only affect you if you are sharing an internet connection.

Prize For The Winner
I have just decided to award the final winner a $50 gift certificate to Amazon.com. Have fun!

East Division

1. sbc IMPACT (Geoff Baggett & Team)
    Round One: 70 Votes
  2. The Fullness of Time (Nathan Finn)
    Round One: 61 Votes
  3. SBC Outpost (Team Blog)
    Round One: 59 Votes
  4. Reformissionary (Steve McCoy)
    Round One: 51 Votes

[poll id="6"]

Midwest Division

1. Micah Fries
    Round One: 81 Votes
  2. Provocations & Pantings (Timmy Brister)
    Round One: 66 Votes
  3. Joining God In His Work (Les Puryear)
    Round One: 62 Votes
  4. SBC Tomorrow (Peter Lumpkins)
    Round One: 60 Votes

[poll id="7"]

West Division

1. Ed Stetzer
    Round One: 90 Votes
  2. Grace and Truth To You (Wade Burleson)
    Round One: 83 Votes
  3. selahV today (Hariette Petersen)
    Round One: 53 Votes
  4. Said At Southern Seminary (Team Blog)
    Round One: 48 Votes

[poll id="8"]

South Division

1. Founders Ministry Blog (Tom Ascol)
    Round One: 79 Votes)
  2. Praisegod Barebones (Bart Barber)
    Round One: 61 Votes
  3. Downshore Drift (Alan Cross)
    Round One: 55 Votes
  4. SBC Today.com (Team Blog)
    Round One: 52 Votes

[poll id="9"]

1 GUNNY HARTMAN March 30, 2008 at 4:15 pm

I was seeded 8th in the Midwest and finished 7th in the field.

I’d say you nailed mine pretty well.

Happy to have made it to the dance in the first place and wish the Sweet 16 well as they compete for the PRIZE!

But, as always, ladies and … men, no wagering.

GUNNY HARTMAN’s last blog post..Watch your mouth, kid, or you’re gonna find yourself floating home.

2 selahV March 30, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Tony, this was so fun to watch. Thank you for placing me in the competition at all. I was honored and humbled. I am tickled pink to advance to the Sweet Sixteen but also know that it is more than a safe bet (Gunny) that my competition days are quite numbered now.

selahV’s last blog post..BLOWN AWAY AND TICKLED PINK~~ I MADE IT! THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

3 John Stickley March 31, 2008 at 10:28 am

This little 16 seed somehow finished 5th. I had no idea 39 people even knew my blog existed, let alone that they would vote for me… :)

John Stickley’s last blog post..Bible in a Year… Day 57 (Genesis 32-35)

4 GUNNY HARTMAN March 31, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Psst … Tony, is it too late to change my bet in the West. I’m not feeling so confident about “selahV today” anymore.

;-)

GUNNY HARTMAN’s last blog post..Sounds like somebody’s got a case of the Mondays.

5 Tony Kummer March 31, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Check out the new prizes

6 Bart Barber April 1, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Man! Alan is kicking my tail.

7 GUNNY HARTMAN April 2, 2008 at 12:51 am

A few of these may really go down to the wire.

I know there are still a few days left, but it’s interesting to me how far below the round 1 totals each of these are.

Some of these in contention don’t even have half what they had in the first round.

GUNNY HARTMAN’s last blog post..Somebody’s gotta keep his eye on the ball.

8 Brother Hank April 3, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Some how I missed this entire tournament until now….

Gig’em Founders!

Gunny – you know Ascol is an old Ag, right?

Brother Hank’s last blog post..Usurped Dominion, the Mystery of Procreation, and the Covenant of Parenthood

9 Tony Kummer April 3, 2008 at 9:52 pm
10 GUNNY HARTMAN April 3, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Oh yeah, Hank!

I’m thinking that’s the only reason Tom ever gave me the time of day when I was beating him down at the Piper pastors conference in February.

He’s obligated to honor those who also bleed maroon.

;-)

Hey, FINALLY an Aggie made it to the Final Four!

Way to represent, Tom!

GUNNY HARTMAN’s last blog post..He’ll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow.

11 John Stickley April 3, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Why are there so many more votes in some regions?

12 Tony Kummer April 4, 2008 at 5:43 am

John – The best I can figure is that when people don’t know (don’t like) any of the choices they just don’t vote.

OR if people come over from a blog that has linked the tournament, they come to vote for that person only.

It is interesting …