So You Think You’ve Got Game? Join the 2014 SBC Voices Billion Dollar NCAA Bracket Challenge!

by Dave Miller on March 18, 2014 · 33 comments

Okay, no, there’s no billion dollars here. Just the right to claim the title of SBC Voices’ resident basketball expert. Andy Hynes claimed the title last year and he says he is unbeatable this year (well, okay, I made that up). You are welcome to join our March Madness NCAA bracket challenge at ESPN. Your bracket is locked as of the start of the first game Thursday.

Here is the link to the page where you can sign up. ¬†Click the “join group” button.

Our group name is SBCVoicesBB and the password is a highly secure “sbcvoices” to keep out the liberals! It’s pretty simple. Even an old fogey like CB Scott could get in (though I don’t think the Crimson Crud did).

Join the group and see who the true expert in SBC BB is!

1 Mike Bergman March 18, 2014 at 4:34 pm

I forgot I had an account using an old football bulletin board handle, so I put my last name in my entry name…

I am so going to get obliterated…

2 Andy March 18, 2014 at 7:18 pm

And I plan on winning again this year! Sorry guys!

3 Paul Thompson March 19, 2014 at 11:43 pm

My bracket is set. Let the madness begin. http://es.pn/bracket

4 Dale Pugh March 20, 2014 at 11:18 am

I will probably be completely out of the running for a winning bracket as of tonight.

5 Doug Hibbard March 20, 2014 at 2:55 pm

And how many people’s “Buffett Billion” effort died thanks to Dayton?

6 Dave Miller March 20, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Yeah, I was a little ticked yesterday that I couldn’t get through to register at Yahoo for Warren Buffett’s billion dollars. The first game would have brought me down. I’m guessing it brought down about 85% of brackets.

I read that in all the years ESPN has been doing tournament brackets, there has only been (I think) 1 perfect bracket IN THE FIRST ROUND. Warren’s billion is pretty safe.

7 Jeremy Parks March 20, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I almost picked Harvard, but changed my mind. So far, only missed two picks, and it looks like my choice of NC State is going to pay off.

8 Dave Miller March 21, 2014 at 2:24 am

How’d that NC State choice work out for you?

9 Dave Miller March 21, 2014 at 2:25 am

I only lost 3 games out of 16 today. Unfortunately, I had two of those teams making runs to the elite 8, so those losses are going to pile up.

10 Dave Miller March 21, 2014 at 2:29 am

For the record, a total of 43 people signed up. Right now, Svoboda is in the lead, but I’m guessing he chose Nebraska to make the Final Four and that fantasy will drag him down!

There are a bunch of us tied at 130 (13 wins). Matt has 150.

Our lowest point total (besides the guy who evidently signed up but never filled out a bracket and has 0) is 60 points. I don’t want to embarrass Paul Thompson, so I will not mention his name.

11 Paul Thompson March 21, 2014 at 12:44 pm

It was Boise, Idaho 2001, NCAA Round of 64. I bought tickets for for me and my (then) 13 year old son. This likely easy win for #2 Iowa against #15 Hampton made me a believer in the underdog.

This could be a big day for me…

12 Paul Thompson March 21, 2014 at 5:43 pm

The distance between the guy who forgot to lock in his bracket and mine is not that great of a distance.

13 Dale Pugh March 21, 2014 at 5:43 am

I’m currently DUMBFOUNDED! ND State won and NC State lost? Good grief, Charlie Brown……those two games along with Harvard, Dayton, and Pittsburg really killed me yesterday. This can’t be good.

14 volfan007 March 21, 2014 at 8:53 am

Go Vols!

15 Doug Hibbard March 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Those were not the upsets I picked—and Oklahoma is going to hurt me for 2 weeks.

Boomer Sooner? Never again will I count you people!

16 Dave Miller March 21, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Boomer Sooner going down is good – even if I didn’t pick the upset. Any loss by OK is a good thing, in any sport.

17 Rob Ayers March 21, 2014 at 3:58 pm

You are a sad sad little man :-(

Rob

18 Dave Miller March 21, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Little?

19 Mike Bergman March 21, 2014 at 5:09 pm

You should give me your address Dave… I got a box of sports paraphernalia to send you…

Boomer!

20 Dave Miller March 21, 2014 at 6:04 pm

If you are ready to part with that Sooner paraphernalia, I can certainly dispose of it for you.

21 Mike Bergman March 21, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Dispose? Never!

I look at it more like evangelism. That’s why I have a big OU flag hanging in my office!

22 Dale Pugh March 21, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I’m really hoping Svboda is right and the Duck get to the Final 4……but I didn’t pick them to get there.

23 volfan007 March 21, 2014 at 5:14 pm

The Vols continue to dance, as they tap danced all over UMass, this afternoon. Next, we have to take on the theologically, liberal Baptists from Georgia…the Vols need to stop the spread of theological liberalism…beat Mercer!

24 William Thornton March 21, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Uh huh, former SBC school, Mercer, dispatches arrogant ACC elitist Blue Devils. Happy to see it.

25 volfan007 March 21, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Yep, the Baptists beat the Devil, this time.

26 Ryan Abernathy (@absonjourney) March 21, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Head coach of Mercer is Bob Hoffman. He coached OBU when I was there back in the 90s. Amazing guy and a solid Jesus follower. Proud for him and his team.

27 Adam G. in NC March 22, 2014 at 12:51 am
28 Tarheel March 21, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Well, my wife is happy. She is an engineering graduate of Mercer…

I am happy because DOOK lost, and the TARHEELS advanced.

My bracket is shot though.

29 Adam G. in NC March 22, 2014 at 12:57 am

four teams in the tournament from my area code and only the ‘heels advance…sigh…this really was a down year for tobacco road.

Now its A.B.C.

30 Paul Thompson March 22, 2014 at 1:18 am

At the end of the Round of 64 I’m the only guy on the list with 150pts MORE than the guy behind him (midgetfan45, thanks for not filling out your bracket). A big Round of 32 may finally pull me out of next-to-last place. (midgetfan45 is officially in last place, right?)

31 Dave Miller March 22, 2014 at 3:10 am

My bracket is in flames. But I’m guessing few people picked most of these upsets either!

32 Dale Pugh March 22, 2014 at 10:05 am

I can smell the smoke from my bracket as it crumbles into ash. My only hope now is for the Sweet 16 to end up the way I predicted for the Elite 8. I picked VCU, OK, and Duke to move into the Elite 8. Shaking my head a little this morning……

33 Dave Miller March 22, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I think that it is good that God called most of us into ministry. Had we been Vegas prognosticators, we’d have gone broke.

I had a brutal day yesterday, losing half my games. And I am within striking distance of the lead of this thing.

Brothers, We Are Not Professionals (at picking brackets).