But there are only 888 hours to the beloved and celebrated SBC Annual Meeting in Birmingham. Here are some things we’re looking for:
- Re-election of J. D. Greear. Should be no problem and no opposition. He’s done a good job with appointments and pre-meeting themes and the like.
- Bigger than JD will be the For Such A Time As This rally. Not sure of the exact plans or times. Last year there was a rally outside of the convention hall that I missed.
- The ERLC has positioned itself front and center for this year’s convention with their sex abuse work. They have a panel, a “candid conversation” planned for 9 pm on the Monday prior, June 10th. Some prominent abuse advocates and survivors are on the panel as well as Russell Moore, JD, Beth Moore, and others to be announced. I’ll drink some extra coffee, the cheap stuff will suffice, and try and make this.
- Presumably, Ronnie Floyd will be making the Executive Committee report. Eh? Should add energy if this is the case but when the stats come out prior to the convention, I’m not expecting anything to brag about. I’ll be present for this but will not be in a mood to be lambasted because baptisms and the CP are down.
- The Voices team will be there…somewhere…doing something. Not sure what.
- I’ll be looking for extreme strutting…and am not afraid to take names and blog about it. I’m never disappointed and I don’t think we have a paucity of prancing preachers at our annual session.
- The report of the Nominating Committee reflects Steve Gaines’ earlier appointments. No one has said much about them. I wouldn’t expect any challenges but it’s happened before.
- I’m not looking for drama such as we had last year but Southern Baptists are a resourceful bunch. Any goofball can speak and some generally do.
- There will be motions, brethren and sistren. Look for some interesting ones.
- There will be resolutions, look for some really odd ones to be offered from the floor.
- There had better not be any secular politicians on the platform this year. If the Mayor of Birmingham or Alabama governor wants to welcome us, give him or her three minutes and then we move on to business, even if either keeps prattling on.
Get the nifty app. It even comes in “traditional Chinese” which Kirsten Gillibrand speaks.
BBQ promises to be big in Birmingham.
Anything you brethren or sistren are looking for…?