J. D. Greear to be SBC president nominee
I don’t think I have ever seen as much statistical information tossed out for an SBC presidential nominee.
- Church growth from 350 to 10,000
- 928 baptisms in 2014
- 149 SBC, IMB missionaries from his church currently on the field
- $390,000 budgeted in 2016 for the Cooperative Program (up from $150k the last reporting year; it’s confusing)
- 26 church plants the last five years in conjunction with NAMB
- Great Commission Giving “around 10%” although ACP data has it at 13-15%
- Over $1 million to IMB, over $500k to NAMB, $500k destined for an endowed chair at SEBTS
The 149 IMB missionaries from Summit would be about 4% of the whole mission force for IMB, I calculate, although the type of missionary service may make my calculations invalid. I doubt there has been a church comparable in this. That’s a huge number.
I’ve heard him a number of times and like him. A number of thirtysomething SBCers that I know think highly of him, stratospherically of him.
There are a number of things notable about his nomination. The first that comes to my mind is that he has a desire to serve as SBC president.