I have a generational aversion to employing the word “awesome” about anything, so I’ll just say that the Pastor’s Conference was pretty doggone good.
- Grass roots, bottom up. No big names. No marquee personalities. Perfect.
- PC prez Dave Miller, The Man of Vision, was a fountain of dry wit if you don’t mind my mixing metaphors. Gotta like the guy for that. He was also the man without rythm. The Gettys’ peppiest, clappiest music couldn’t even get a random muscle twitch from him.
- Speaking of music, it was spectacular. Any group with a fiddle, mandolin, and piano is a hit with me. Super.
- I think the Caskey Center for Church Excellence at NOBTS stole a march on the other seminaries by being so heavily involved. I liked what I saw.
- Get this: the PC made a partial financial report in which they reported a $50,000 surplus (to be turned over to the 2018 PC), the spending of $62,000 to scholarship small church pastors’ attendance, and the offerings received to go to GuideStone’s Mission Dignity. Unheard of.
- Of the preachers I heard all did well but the very young Jamar Andrews really connected.
- I don’t have any frame of reference on attendance at recent PCs but there were large crowds in the morning and afternoon sessions.
Keep this kind of stuff up and someone will get the idea that the SBC is mostly a convention of small churches.
Very good job guys.