One Thing That Disturbs Me About Propaganda’s Song “Precious Puritans”

I have been listening to Propaganda’s new album and also reflecting on the recent online dust-up concerning his song “Precious Puritans”.  If you aren’t hip to the discussion, a little debate has been going on about whether or not Prop went too far in his critique of the Puritans as slave owners.

First watch the clip:

Now, if you desire to get you caught up (though I’ll warn you it could take a good hour) then you need to check out these articles.  First read these two from Joe Thorn: Precious Puritans Part 1 and Part 2.  Then go readOwen Strachan’s rebuttal.  (Be sure to also read some of the comments on these).  Steve McCoy then responded to Owen’s critique and also offered a solid exposition of the song.  That’s enough to get you caught up though you can also read this reaction from Thabiti Anyabwile as well as this one from Anthony Bradley.

The Song Initially Disturbs Me

When I first listened to the song it disturbed me.  And I have to be honest and say that at first I think I missed the point.  I thought I got the point that he was baiting us by piling on the Puritans and then kind of throwing in a switch at the end that said “God even uses crooked sticks like me”.

But it didn’t sit well with me because I felt that he was encouraging us to just totally drop the Puritans by saying, “why would you quote them”.  As I read his explanation of the song on Joe Thorn’s blog I gave a hearty amen to everything he said.  But I still thought that his critique of the Puritans was too sharp and that he used such a broad brush that it totally made his secondary point outshine his primary point—that God uses crooked sticks.

In my mind the song wasn’t matching up with his interview with Joe Thorn.  Then I read Steve McCoy’s piece and it helped me see it a little more clearly.  Reading Steve’s post helped the lights flick on and helped me see the “angry poet” in the beginning and the turn in the song when Prop says, “step away”.  It helped me really understand what I believe Prop was saying in the song, “God uses crooked sticks.  Don’t dismiss them in anger but don’t swallow them whole either.  They had flaws, and let’s take those flaws seriously.  But lets also remember that they are crooked sticks and lets give glory to God and not blindly follow a group of men.”

But something about the song still disturbs me…

What still disturbs me about the song is the word “your”.  I know that this is probably part of the art of the whole thing.  But I have to be honest in how the song makes me react.  It makes me feel like I’m not on the same team as Propaganda.  It makes me feel like a dirty white guy that just casually reads the Puritans but doesn’t think about their racism.

And his indictment is true.  I think he’s right that in some sense I do “not have to consider race”.  If I’m not careful I can be just as blind as the Puritans that I read.  I can think that racism isn’t still present in our society.  I can think that there are not still battles to be fought and hills to be climbed.  If I’m not careful I can theologically decry racism but in practice I can passively live on the wrong side of gospel reconciliation.

Yet, I’m still disturbed by the “your” Puritans.  Artistically, go ahead and keep it in the song in the beginning.  That’s all part of the “anger”.  It’d rob the song of it’s power if he referred to them as anything different.  But in that last line of the song I wish he’d have said “our” precious puritans.  Because flawed and crooked as they are they belong to Propaganda just as much as they do to me.

There is not a white history of the church and a separate black history of the church.  Though filled with a horrible history of hate-filled disunity, in the gospel story of cosmic redemption and reconciliation those two “histories” merge into a beautiful tapestry.  The Puritans, in as much as they were bought with the blood of Christ, belong to all of us—crookedness and all.

Maybe It Should Still Disturb Me

There is one more thing that disturbs me though.  And that is that I wanted to put on a sentence at the end of that last paragraph that said something like this: “Just in the same way as (fill in the blank with African American heroes) belong to all of us—crookedness and all”.

But that sentence wasn’t present.

And you know why?  Because in my office I have shelves lined with Puritans.  I even have excellent books, like Piper’s Bloodlines, that combat the heinousness of racism.  But what I don’t have is a shelf filled with African-American saints throughout the history of the church.  It’s not because I don’t want them or that I would reject them.  It’s simply that I’m not exposed to them.  I tend to only be familiar with the crooked sticks that bend the same way that I do.

But those that aren’t the same kind of crooked as me should be my heroes too.  The Lord uses them as well.  Maybe Prop has a really solid point after all.

So help me out.  Help me fill a shelf with African-American brothers and sisters that will benefit my soul just like the Puritans do.  Help me find some Christ-exalting men and women that will help me revel in the excellencies of Jesus.

Comments

One thing is absolutely clear. While we are brothers (and sisters) in Christ, we do not view things the same way at all.

I have read and appreciated the Puritans and it never occurred to me that there was a racial component involved in this. We just don’t tend to think in those terms. We want to declare racial issues as ancient history and see racial reconciliation as complete.

I think this demonstrates that the process, having started, is far from over.

One of the most chilling lines, for me was this one:

It must be nice to not have to consider race.
      It must be nice to have time to contemplate the stars.

Mike,

I’ve heard this kind of thing before. I’m not sure if it’s meant to make me feel guilty or to justify why someone looks at the world through the latticework of race. Either way, I don’t think it’s beneficial to the speaker or the hearer. It only makes the speaker a perpetual victim and the hearer a perpetual debtor.

• Christiane says

I, also read the lyrics provided on Joe Thorn’s blog, here:

and I compared/contrasted it to this by Gov. Winthrop:

‘As A City Upon A Hill’
      from a sermon by Gov. John Winthrop (1630)
      spoken aboard the Puritan ship ‘Arbella’ en route to the New World:

” . . . to follow the counsel of Micah, to do justly, to love mercy, to walk humbly with our God. For this end, we must be knit together, in this work, as one man. We must entertain each other in brotherly affection. We must be willing to abridge ourselves of our superfluities, for the supply of others’ necessities. We must uphold a familiar commerce together in all meekness, gentleness, patience and liberality. We must delight in each other; make others’ conditions our own; rejoice together, mourn together, labor and suffer together, always having before our eyes our commission and community in the work, as members of the same body. So shall we keep the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace.
      The Lord will be our God, and delight to dwell among us, as His own people, and will command a blessing upon us in all our ways, so that we shall see much more of His wisdom, power, goodness and truth, than formerly we have been acquainted with. We shall find that the God of Israel is among us, when ten of us shall be able to resist a thousand of our enemies; when He shall make us a praise and glory that men shall say of succeeding plantations, ‘may the Lord make it like that of New England.’
      For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill.
      The eyes of all people are upon us.”

and I am thinking many things about how Our Lord asks us to do unto others as we would have them do unto us, and how this applied to the blind-spot that permitted the slave trade among Christian people . . .

My observation is that, if we are ‘in Christ’, then we will understand that on the bottom of the foot of every human being on this earth, there is an indelible printing that reflects who we ALL are who are made in His image.
      That inscription?

. . . ” FOR I AM
      FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE”

(from Psalm 139:14)

2. Bruce H. says

The bottom line is to forgive. It never says to talk about it. Just forgive. That is for both sides. I will not apologize for my forefathers because that is burned up in the past. We must focus on today and that is all. If you have sinned in this area, admit it and repent. The offended becomes responsible at that point. No more songs, just forgiveness. That is all.

• Greg Harvey says

I think forgiveness is essential, but dialog is crucial, too, and arguably is important for understanding grievances. We need to stop idolizing our forefathers and fully see them as fallible–though gifted–men. If slavery as an issue had to be resolved in order to form the nation, the other argument prevails: that the colonies should have remained under British rule since Britain got there–repudiation of slavery–first.

History should not be the art of “gotcha”, but it must be the practice of deep honesty. Someone–or a group–going by the name Propoganda has to explore some kind of misinformation or their shtick is being exactly what they’re called.

Color me–somewhat Richard Wright-style–as having learned from the art and the criticism within it and about it. That isn’t about apologizing. It’s about understanding why–for instance–Obama supposedly has in the high 80s support wise from Blacks. Makes more sense in the context of this discussion, no??

3. Stephen Beck says

One of the parts from Thabiti’s post that is easy to miss is his “ironic” link to a discussion of the quote (from a site long predating Prop’s rap) at the end about crooked sticks and straight lines – apparently the line has been used in African American writings but it is earliest attributed to a Puritan Pastor in the early 17th century! In that way, Prop does, extremely subtly, ‘own the Puritans’ like you wish he did explicitly.

I have been immensely blessed and challenged by the album since I downloaded it a week ago. The musical arrangements/compositions are worth the full price alone, and the varied rap style and hard hitting lyrics make it a piece that I hope affects Christians for a long time, our ‘precious Propaganda.’

Strange that we should be discussing two of the areas of my study for the Master of Arts in American Social & Intellectual History and the major area of study for a Ph.D. which I did not return to finish but performed a complementary work on Christian Love & Race Relations for a Doctor of Ministry. First, let me say something about race as my family of mostly Southerners experienced. My father’s family, in particular his great grandfather, owned 4 or five slaves at the most, if memory of some documents that I have serves correctly. The family lost it all in the civil war, having the home place burned by the Yankees as well as having the slaves freed. But prejudice against Black folks was absent in my father’s thinking due to the fact that in the Great Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918, a Black man came into the home and took care of my father (a child of six) and his three or four sisters and two step brothers, while my grandmother and step-grandfather languished in a hospital almost dying of the flu. Dad said, “If it had not been for the Black man, I guess we would have died.” There is more that could be added about my mother’s family, pro and con, but I was never around Black folks until I moved to St. Louis in 1955. My attitude was not one of prejudice or the idea of superior/inferior. I was a rather strong egalitarian due to my grandmother. In any case, when I did study Black history, I had nightmares about the way the Southerners often treated Black folks. The main thing was to keep a vast population, some three million slaves in subjugation, a fearful task punctuated now and then by outbursts of violence due to anger and bitterness over meaningless labor. The Puritans as with the Southerners (who would eventually be more Baptists than another denomination) were blind, and we find that the blinding power was money. When white baptists first went into the South, they believed in freedom, but the idea of profit plus peer influence had a lot to do with changing views about what the Bible actually taught.

And that is the crux of the matter, our sinful desires have a way of blinding us to the realities of the word of God. One can hid the sun from sight by a mere dime or nickel or even a penny. The same can be said of truths in the word of God. One’s perceived inner needs can move one to disregard certain statements that would cut the ground out from under a greed that motivates one to disregard the good of others. Yes, I know of Puritans who were blind, blind as bats as even my ancestors likely were about their slaves. Anytime one has absolute power, the power of life and death without any accountability, an unchecked complementarity (remember checks and balances? That means a functional complementarity), one becomes corrupt or as Lord Acton put it, “Absolute power corrects absolutely.”

But here is the kicker: The Puritans did change. Samuel Sewall wrote a tract, The Selling of Joseph, arguing for the treatment of Blacks as fellow descendants of the first Adam and as Brothers and Sisters in the Second Adam and etc. While the Quakers were much to the fore in ending slavery in their ranks, the Puritans were slower (one reason surely based on their profits from the slave trade. The Triangular or Triangle Trade (just google it) involved taking goods or rum from either a European port (where it begin originally) to Africa to use in the purchase of slaves which were then taken (the infamous Middle Passage) to the New World (especially the Caribbean) where they were sold or exchanged for sugar in the form of molasses which was hauled to New England or England and made into rum and then repeating the whole process. There was a profit at all three places of the trade. I will stop here as I could actually teach courses in Black History. But I must add this observation. The music about the Precious Puritans, while I could not hear as my computer is not playing videos for me, is telling the truth. Indeed, the situation is even worse for many slaves than we can imagine.

To continue a response to Mike’s blog which really calls for a full-fledged serious response in my thinking, I want to add about my acquaintance with the Puritans. I first encountered them in 1961-62, when I found two stacks of Nichols Standard Divines six feet or more in height in Amitin’s Book Store in Downtown St. Louis. As I was in the process of being called to a church in the same general period, I was always looking for works on the Bible to help in my study of the word of God. Since the volumes covered biblical subjects, I purchased, a set of David Clarkson’s Works (3 volumes) and several volumes by Richard Sibbes. Clarkson, more than any other writer I read during the first year of my pastorate, did more to change my view of Scripture, helping me to understand how bad was the situation of fallen man, how supernatural must be the work that saves sinners. My only regret to this day is that I could have bought all of those many works for $2.00 a volume, a treasury trove of knowledge of the word of God (for the Puritans were and still are some of the most astute scholars of the Bible that I have ever read. I would also learn their shortcomings, beginning in the same year {1962} as I begin attending a Black University and took a course in Black History.

The advantages of Black History is that it helps one to see the blindness of whites (and one can’t limit the evil of prejudice and slavery to Puritans and Calvinists as Arminians could be and were just as prejudiced and slavery minded). It also helps one to appreciate the fact of how filters in the mind can warp interpretations even in the most biblical of believers. O, and by the way, one also needs to study the Blacks who held slaves in Africa and in America. There was a Black man in Mississippi who owned about 90 Blacks, and I heard of one (not in the history books but in local lore) while teaching at South Carolina State College (now a University) that was married to a white woman and owned 200 slaves.

Back to the Puritans. They begin to realize that slavery was really inconsistent with biblical teachings. Sewall’s work was one of the earliest against slavery, and it took years for that leaven to work. The occurrence of the First and Second Great Awakenings which transformed Protestantism from a Gospel recovery, contentious, combative, and conflicted, into an outgoing, we will win you with persuasion, missionary movement is one of the remarkable facts of human history. It is a replay of the influence of the Christian Faith during the first centuries which transformed its persecutors. Pilgrim Pastor John Robinson is noted for this statement in his works (the quote is not exact, but near enough:”Who knows what new light is getting ready to break forth from God’s word?” That was the view of the Pilgrims, the view of the Baptists of Rhode Island who gave us religious liberty and then blindly fell in with their Puritan Persecutors by engaging in the slave trade. By the way, two regiment of Blacks from Rhode Island will participate in the American Revolution, and they proved that they could acquit themselves as the best of soldiers in combat. I will cease for now, being tired, and perhaps take up this historical and biblical review in a later comment to help the discussion along.

I must add before totally departing the scene for tonight that the “new light” could well be said to encompass a new burst of freedom, the rise of abolition, and development of egalitarianism and more freedoms based on a knowledge of the reality of man’s depravity that involves checks and balances that avoided absolute and total control over every aspect of man’s life (which is what the insecure folks who hold the purse strings suffer). There is more, but note the idea of “new light”. And it is significant that a biblical text of the American Revolution is inscribed on the Liberty Bell, the one artifact from the Revolution that really moves me to tears. And then we have the Great Century of Missions and more freedoms in this nation than anyone ever dreamed was possible.

7. Bart Barber says

1. It would be difficult to have books by African-American saints from throughout Christian history. “African-American” is a category that can apply, at the very most, to the past few centuries. African-American Christian writers would belong to an even more restricted milieu.

2. If, however, you are simply looking for the writings of African saints, I’d recommend Augustine or Athanasius (whose friends called him “The Black Dwarf”). Origen and Tertullian also deserve mention. And there’s Anthony. The fact of the matter is, if you look at your shelves more closely, you may find a lot more African theology there than you had previously recognized.

Bart,

Thanks for pointing out my poor choice of words. I’m not sure what would have been the best way to phrase that or even what I’m looking for. I guess all I was trying to say is that I’d like to have some more racially diverse books (especially from the post-Reformation era).

• Bart Barber says

That’s a hobby-horse of mine. That’s why sometimes I get a bit pedantic about it. I taught Church History in Africa once, and we’re doing work there now. The Muslims invading Africa tell all of the Africans that Christianity is a European/American religion that doesn’t belong in Africa. I delighted in telling them that, actually, in very many ways, Christian orthodoxy—or rather the preservation of it—is a gift from Africa to the rest of the world.

Buy books of sermons by Black ministers. Contact some like Dr. McKissic or Dr. Luter. They can surely give you a list. I have a collection in Black History and other writings that amounts to perhaps several hundred volumes. But for the best and most moving, go to the Baptist libraries and read the records of churches with black members during the time of slavery. God developed some people with tremendous characters, godly characters, awesome, inspiring, attractive, appealing, magnetic, winsome persons. Read John Hope Franklin’s From Slavery To Freedom. I first studied that volume under the great Black Historian, Dr. Lorenzo J. Greene (Ph.D. Columbia Univ., 1940), who was an associate editor to Cr. Carter G. Woodson on the Journal of Negro Life and History. This was at Lincoln Univ. in 1962-63. I studied it again at Morehead State under Dr. Broaddus Jackson (Ph.D., Indiana Univ.) during my M.A. program in 1969-70, and again at Columbia under Dr. James P. Shenton in 1971 (who sought to recruit me to do my Ph.D. in Black History at Columbia due to my knowledge that there was a great body of primary source materials on Black folks that had never been tapped, namely, the Baptist Church records). Those records also tell us of the revivals and awakenings that the churches experienced through years. God alone knows how much knowledge has been lost due to Baptists not being concerned with their past, not keeping records, not realizing that once we were at the forefront of Western Civilization…as religious liberty suggests. Must quit for now. God bless, and grant us a Third Great Awakening for which I have been praying since 1973

You might listen to a sermon I preached on The Ethiopian Proof, Zeph.2:11,12. Google Berry’s Grove Baptist Church Timberlake, NC. Dr. Jim Willingham and subject given, for July 1. Seems like the Lord might be planning to send the next awakening by mens of Black ministers. How appropriate.

That’s a good idea. If you’ve got the time, you can take that task up for me. I’ve got quite a bit going on for the next few days and doubt I could get to it. Feel free to run with it…

10. Alyson says

I think we are assuming that Propaganda is talking only to white men, which I could see how one would think that since he is speaking in these terms of black/white racial hostility at many points and a majority of pastors who are reformed and who quote Puritans are probably white men. However, I don’t think that is specifically who he is speaking to, but rather to pastors/people who not only quote Puritans but esteem them too highly and more broadly who esteem anyone too highly besides Christ. This can apply to many people besides white men.
    When you mentioned the line about “your”, I saw this assumption of a white audience reflected. I don’t think he is seeing in terms of multiple church histories but rather attributing “your” to those doing the quoting/idolization of Puritans. Therefore, it would not make any sense for him to say “our Precious Puritans”… he’s not talking to himself, not even to the Church as a whole when he uses your in this context, he’s not quoting Puritans. He’s not saying “Oh, those are “your” people (here is the assumption of the white male audience), not mine because I’m black”, but rather they are “yours” in the sense that you (whoever that is) are the one who is doing this quoting. I say this because I am aware that there are black pastors out there who quote Puritans and I myself as a bi-racial female do so as well. More broadly, we all do this because of the Christian celebrity culture we have created…they don’t have to be dead for hundreds of years to qualify, think of the craze over John Piper, David Platt , Matt Chandler, Lecrae…the list goes on.

11. Rose says

I’m surprised NO ONE in any articles I’ve read so far on this song has pointed out a big issue…Propaganda begins the song by boldly calling the Puritans heretics. Now, this is serious. Hypocrites in some areas, yes BUT heretics? NO. To call them heretics says their doctrine was wrong. To call them hypocrites would at least insinuate that though their lives were not always lining up, their doctrine was good. If we agree with his statement as Christians, than we need to throw out a lot of our doctrine and call it false.

So, either Propaganda doesn’t know the proper definition of heresy or he really has more serious issues with the Puritans than the song really takes the time to describe because what it describes in hypocrisy. Christians who like this song better think about the implications of him calling them heretics. They are far reaching.

One has to realize that African Americans can get very tight about the injustices they see in our history, and the conduct of our ancestors and predecessors in the SBC is enough to make one sick. There are times, when one does not think there is anything to the most biblical of viewpoints due to the misrepresentations of it by those who claim to believe such teachings. Probably someone in the future will look back on us and our times and see our errors as the most egregious evils that could possibly be, proving that we are heretics of the first water. Imagine, if you will, how a child feels who has been sexually abused by a parent who is a minister, etc. Having dealt with a few cases like that, I can tell you the outrage of the sufferer is understandable. Propaganda is simply reflecting outrage due to repression, depression, deprivation, devestation, and other, worse evils by advocate so seemingly sound truths…yea even of truths that are truly sound. After all, we have to remember that Judas was an Apostle.

13. ana says

a shelf full of african brothers? how about st augustine?? this guys rap is plain wrong. the puritans were chaplains on slave ships? the fact is the trans-atlantic slave trade was started by the catholic church. The first extensive shipment of black Africans to make good the shortage of native slaves, what would later become known as the Transatlantic slave trade, was initiated at the request of Bishop Las Casas and authorised by Charles V in 1517. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_slavery

if he has a problem with slavery as he claims then he ought to throw out god as it was god who caused israel to be enslaved by the egyptians and the babylonians. but he won’t because his problem is one of racism. this whole fake issue is only an attempt to sell records and sow division.

John Hope Franklin also pointed out in his From Slavery To Freedom that the Renaissance view of man, a very selfish approach, contributed to the development of Modern Slavery. After the Catholics come the Puritans, but he Puritans developed a conscience about it and started to write materials against it. The Quakers and Baptists were among the early opponents of slavery. The former had slaves, and then began to question slavery. Cf. John Woolman was one of the Quaker leaders against the evil of slavery. The Baptists were opposed to it at first, but then reversed their stand, moved, undoubtedly by greed. However, slave members were referred to as brothers and sisters. The democratic nature of the ekklesia required such, a key to explaining why Blacks were most attracted to Baptist churches, also adding the ordinance of baptism by immersion, a practice that they apparently had known from Africa.

Let me add here about the Puritan conscience that Samuel Sewall’s The Selling of Joseph was one of the first anti-slavery tracts that began to influence the thinking of Puritans and others, eventually leading to most of the Puritan colonies/states abolishing of slavery.

14. ana says

if you want a shelf full of african-american theology you will have plenty to chose from in the liberation theology and pentecostal sections in your local christian bookstore. recommended authors include t.d. jakes, martin luther king jr, creflo dollar, james hal cone. maybe this list will help you get started: http://abcpreachers.ning.com/forum/topics/916966:Topic:424

also this:

the african american church at large has its theology centered on their wallet through either prosperity doctrine or liberation theology and none of their preachers are going to benefit your soul. the only theologians who will benefit your soul the way the puritans do are……the puritans!

15. Coray says

“I love the pure, peaceable, and impartial Christianity of Christ: I therefore hate the corrupt, slaveholding, women-whipping, cradle-plundering, partial and hypocritical Christianity of the land. Indeed, I can see no reason, but the most deceitful one, for calling the religion of this land Christianity. I look upon it as the climax of all misnomers, the boldest of all frauds, and the grossest of all libels – Fredrick Douglas…a Christian and an Ex-Slave (1818-1885). So what do you think Mr. Douglas would have to say about..um..Let’s say Jonathan Edwards or George Whitefield who owned salves? Where they as precious to him as they are to us? My point is simply the point of the song, God does use crooked sticks to make straight lines. The purpose of acknowledging the crooked stick is so there will be no mistake as to who made the line. When we treat the stick as straight we error….which is why even the word makes the point of Paul previously persecuting the Church, David falling into adultery, and Peter denying Christ….all crooked sticks…just like our Precious Puritans

Coray: Don’t forget that there were Black people in the South who owned slaves, and I am not speaking of fellow who owned their wives and children, etc. I learned of one case , when I went to S.C. State to teach back in 1970. They said he was married to a White woman and owned 200 slaves!!! There was one Black slave holder in Mississippi who owned about 80-90 slaves. There was a Black man in New Orleans and one in Charleston, both were worth about $500,000 each, quite a sum in those days. There was one slave trading kingdom on the coast of Africa that made its welath from kidnapping blacks from the interior of Africa and trading them to the slave traders on the coast, buying for the slave trade. And shall we mention that many Christians are slaves to the Moslems of the Sudan and that slavery is still legal in a number of Islamic states to this very day. We are all crooked sticks at the best. In fact the Bible goes even further and says that there is a madness in us (Eccl.9:3).

16. annabelle says

Could I bring in a new perspective–that of someone who knows the guy? I used to attend church with Propaganda ( I feel funny not calling him Jason). This was at a small reformed church, predominantly composed of white people. In fact, I never saw another black person other than Jason there. He and his wife used to host our college group at their house. Prop is well read, EXTREMELY intelligent, and he always brought amazing perspectives to our group. Never once did I hear him bash on puritans, and we talked about them a lot.

He is not hateful. He’s using his art to remind us of something. He’s comfortable bringing up his colour, and he kind of gives us a look into what it must be like to be the one black guy in a church full of white people who don’t know what it’s like to be subject to stereotypes based on colour. I’ve never seen him be disrespectful to the (white) pastor or anyone else in the church.

Maybe we need to take a look at ourselves now. Sure, we don’t own any slaves, but there are 27 million slaves today and the way we worship our cheap goods (clothing, electronics, produce, jewelry, coffee, and chocolate) keeps them enslaved. How can we be upset that he’s upset about slavery when our own eyes are blinded to how many people we keep enslaved?

Trackbacks