I know. Insert your joke here…
Seriously, I am looking for people who want to write for SBC Voices.
I can offer you the same money I get (if you are good, I will double your salary!). But the main thing I can offer you is an audience. We have that at SBC Voices. This is a very active website (less so in the last few days since I haven’t been posting anything, of course). People will read what you write.
They will, of course, comment as well. Our comment streams tend to get lively at times, out of control at other times. I try to exert some measure of control, but the SBC Voices site can be one of the more boisterous discussion forums out there.
My goal is to post at least 2 well-written and thought-provoking articles every day. My problem is that I cannot do that myself. So, I need some writers. We have some very good writers who post at this site, but all of them are busy and it just seems best to put the call out there. I hope those who have been contributing will continue to do so. But I think a few more authors would help a lot.
I’m not asking for a commitment written in blood, but I’d like to get some authors who will commit to writing regularly. If you want to write monthly, or weekly or whatever. If you just want to post periodically, when the mood hits, I can post your writings as a Guest Blogger. If you are willing to write regularly, I will set you up as a site contributor.
This is “SBC Voices”, so authors need to have Southern Baptist affiliation.
We are not a single viewpoint blog. There have been some good sites that represent a particular mindset. That is fine. But that is not SBC Voices. We are Calvinists and non-Calvinists. We are SBC loyalists and SBC criticizers (personally, I think you can be BOTH loyal and critical). We are pro-GCR and anti-GCR. We are pretty much all “CR” supporters, but with varying degrees of enthusiasm for that historical movement. I have often invited people to write articles that directly confront opinions I have expressed. One of my goals is to model the concept that on many issues, disagreement and dissent is perfectly godly and acceptable.
I am looking for people who wish to write about:
- Theological Issues
- Baptist Life Issues (GCR, Our Entities, etc)
- Cultural Issues
- Devotional Issues
- Controversial Issues
- Sports (as they relate to Christian living)
- Baptist Theology
- Book Reviews/Recommendations
- Whatever else hits you at the moment
Here’s what I am looking for:
- Someone who can make a thoughtful and thought-provoking point about a subject – something that interests you. We have a very broad audience, though most of the people who read here never comment. But if it interests you, it will probably interest someone else. I like to balance articles about the big issues with simple ministry articles.
- I’m looking for well-written and well-argued blog posts. Don’t be offended if I do a little bit of editing. I’m have a touch of grammar OCD.
- I am more than willing to republish posts you have made on your personal blog. There are a lot of VERY good bloggers out there who write on their personal blogs to a limited audience. I can offer these bloggers a broader audience. Send me links to the best of your blog posts and we’ll post them here. Its a good way to promote your personal blog. I’ll link to your blog when we post it.
- If you are going to write critically, do so without personal attacks. I think Howell Scott is a great example of this. He writes articles that are critical of things going on in the SBC, but he is not mean-spirited or personal in his criticisms. He deals with behavior and public facts. I think he is a good model for that kind of writing. Personal attacks or mean-spirited writings will not get published. At this time, I’m the one who decides these things.
- I’d love to have a woman or two writing here. Harriette Peterson is a contributor, but she’s got her hands full with an intransigent insurance company right now and hasn’t been able to feed us much of her inspirational writings recently. So, I’d love to have some women contribute articles here. (No preaching though, ma’am! Sorry, Debbie. Had to go there.)
- If you’ve read a good book and want to recommend it, write a book review and send it in.
- A working knowledge of WordPress is helpful, but not required.
I can’t promise you fortune. I can’t promise you that everyone will agree with you (frankly, I’ve found that no matter what I write, a significant number of people find a way to disagree!). I can’t promise you much. But I can tell you this. If you have something to say and want to say it here, people will see your post and generally read it. Some posts get a few hundred page views. Some get thousands. But people read what you write here!
You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested – or just post a comment here. I’d like to see some samples. If you are regular commenter, I’ve probably already asked you to post.
The best thing to do, for most of you, is to simply post a few things as a Guest Blogger and see if you like the experience. If you do, you can get set up as a contributor and start jumping in regularly.
Anyway, I’m still trying to get over my recent failure. I tried to die from the flu and failed. Once I get caught up on stuff and get my strength back, I’ll be annoying you with regular missives. But I need some people to step up and post some of their stuff here as well.
Oh, and you contributors who are already part of the SBC Voices team – GET ME SOME POSTS! (Yes, I was shouting.)